Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anybody know what the phrase can't find driver mean?

I have a PowerMac 4,2 and it won't start up for me It goes to a black and white screen and has the words panic,and unable to find driver

for this platform. Does anybody know what that means,and what do I have to do to fix it. Thank you and have a great day Dale

PowerMac

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:29 PM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2013 12:16 PM in response to Dale Olson

It means you have likely installed something for Intel Macs that runs at startup that won't work with that Mac. If you moved a hard drive with Mac OS X 10.6 or later on it to the Powermac, that would cause such a problem. If you connected a hard drive with 10.6 or later on it on it that was running Target Disk Mode (booting the Intel machine holding the T key) to it, that would cause such a problem. If you attempted to install 10.4.4 or later system specific disc on a hard drive that was designed for an Intel Mac, and moved it to that machine, that would cause such a problem. If you attempted to install a GUID formatted partition hard drive as opposed to Apple partition map on the machine, that could cause such a problem.

Does anybody know what the phrase can't find driver mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.