Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is process cfprefsd in Activity Monitor?

What is process cfprefsd in Activity Monitor? It is being run by user _spotlight, root, and my admin login?

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 7:27 PM

cfprefsd provides preferences services for the CFPreferences and NSUserDefaults APIs.

There are no configuration options to cfprefsd manually.

From OS X man pages.

18 replies

Aug 3, 2013 11:33 AM in response to JSFapple

Totally agree. cfprefsd is showing up in activity monitor under all my account names, even ones that I have not logged in. I do not recall seeing this before. Also, my mac has become slow and unresponsive, without showing anything in activity monitor. My guess would be that as Apple moves towards a major release of OS X it has let into its software updates something that is causing this behavior because I've got waaay more processes running lateley than I used to. Course, I could have been hacked in some bizarre way 🙂

Sep 4, 2013 3:47 PM in response to LenTS

I'm seeing this show up using 1GB of RAM, now you can tell me "oh, don't worry about it.", but ANYTHING taking 1GB of ram under the username 'nobody' is a RED FLAG to me!

Sure, I still have 4GB of free mem (Apple lied about how much RAM these MacBook Pro's can use - I started running 16Gb and OMG it is nicer! I was swapping at 8.5GB normally used, and now I've swapped a total of 78 *MB* in the last 2 weeks that I've been running this way. Not sure why it would have ever gotten that high..

But, processes like this one, run from launchd taking 1GB of ram could have sucked down all the RAM and caused the swapping or something.

-Traderhut Games. (iPhone games developer.)

Jan 28, 2015 6:45 AM in response to gtyoung10

For the record, cfprefsd is a fundamental part of the MacOS operating system. It's a tool developers use when they write their application, and allows an application to read/write/modify preferences files (like files ending in .plist, and others). MacOS couldn't work without it.

So the more relevant question is which specific application is calling on cfprefsd to do something on it's behalf. This becomes a unix/MacOS lesson, about what unix utilities are at your disposal to look at the inner workings of applications as they run and interact with MacOS. For example, look at the command line tool called "fs_usage", it's one of many tools. Activity Monitor has some tools as well. But be prepared to have to learn loads about how unix-based OS's work to make sense of it.

So in summary, seeing cfprefsd in Activity Monitor is normal, as just about any app could be interacting with it. If a hacker was trying to get in to your system, they wouldn't be leaving around obvious traces like preference files...

More references:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/ man8/cfprefsd.8.html

Which leads to this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/CoreFoundation/Reference/C FPreferencesUtils/index.html

Feb 10, 2015 12:14 PM in response to Peter Crocker

Not wanting to HJ the OP's worries/thread, but I too see this cfprefsd in activity monitor, but the part that worries me is that sometimes its doing not much at all and other times its showing 92%... is _that_ normal? Likewise, since installing Yosemite 10.10.1 and even with the 10.10.2 update, I'm also seeing a _massive_ slowdown in Apple Mail and mail sometimes shows 90+% or "Mail Not Responding" in red while the spinning beach ball is going. Otherwise, the machine seems to be running normal until I try to open, read, and reply to an email.

What is process cfprefsd in Activity Monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.