Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Error -50?

I was loading a 27 min HD 1080p video on my usb key through imovie.

After 3.5 hours, just as the loading was about to finish, imovie stopped the whole process and sent me an error number -50.

Not only am I extremely frustrated with imovie at not telling me something was wrong BEFORE wasting 3.5 hours of my time, but it actually gave me a reason which I can not find any info about on the web. Can anyone tell me what error -50 means, and if there is any way I can find the file WITHOUT having to go through 3.5 hours again?

(PS: it definately can not mean my USB is incompatible since I bought this usb key from an apple store just two days ago. It contains 30 GB which should be more than enough for a 27 min video).

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 1:29 AM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2013 2:56 AM in response to upsilone

Hi

Error -50 paramErr Error in user parameter list

Can there be any external hard disks - if so How is/are it/they formatted ? Must be Mac OS Extended (hfs) if used for Video.

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most but not for VIDEO.

What this means in Your situation is above me.

• free space on internal boot hard disk? How much ?

Video codec

• streamingDV, AIC etc. (not .avi, .mp4, .m4v, .wmv etc as they are containers not codecs)

Pictures

• in what format ? .jpg, .bmp, .tif, else ?

Audio

• from where/what format ? iTunes, .avi, .mp3, .aiff, else ?

The "com.apple.iMovie.plist" file

Many users has not observed that there are TWO libraries.

• Library - at root level

• Library - in user/account folder - THIS IS THE ONE to look into

from Luke Burns

I fixed the problem.. but it was very, very strange. I had a very long section for credits and set the line spacing to 1.0.. for some reason this caused it. I removed it, and it worked fine. I put it back, and I couldn't preview or play the video.

I don't know why that could cause that big of a problem, but it did..

Klaus1

You need more free space on your hard drive.

jonorparkerjon

After phone support from apple I ended up creating a new project and adding all 117 clips back in individually till I found out what clips flagged and would not allow me to export. I had 3 I deleted and replaced and everything works now 1hr after tedious work....

Where do Your material come from

• Camera

• External hard disk

• USB-memory

And all are connected so that iMovie can find it ?

Yours Bengt W

Apr 10, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

As I mentioned above, the only external storage device is a 30 GB USB key.

I exported my movie under HD format and everything went well except at the end when it gave me the error. (If anything was wrong, it should have earned me rather than waste hours of my time)

The video clips I used were all filmed with my iPhone 4S (mp4 I think?) and imported to the MacBook through cable.

There were no pictures inserted in the movie.

The music was a 5 min music clip legally purchased and transferred through iTunes.

Although I only have 6 GB left on my internal hard drive, I am saving the video on USB, not my computer. So there is no reason for it not to work.

I had no credits inserted, so that can not be the problem either.

I finally decided to scale it way down to a medium quality video and it worked when I saved it, but quite honestly, I am disappointed with iMovie and will avoid using it in the future.

Apr 10, 2013 11:24 AM in response to upsilone

I'm also having error -50 come up on my iMovie. I tried exporting through every media and still comes up. I'm working on a new computer and the movies we're imported from dropbox into iMovie with no hitches. I've worked with media of varying speeds but this has never been a problem with me before. I have no external harddrives plugged in and there is more than enough room... any ideas?

Apr 10, 2013 11:23 PM in response to upsilone

Saving to USB - doesn't say anything

How are the USB-Memory FORMATTED ? (or any Hard disks FW, USB or Thunderbolt)

UNIX / DOS / FAT32 / Mac OS Exchange - DO NOT WORK for video (or just for very small video-clips - no matter how large the storage is 8Gb or 4TB - it's all cut up in small segments and they do not connect OK)

MUST BE - Mac OS Extended (hfs) - my are Journaled

Yours Bengt W

What is Error -50?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.