6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 12:23 AM by Zevacu
Zevacu Level 1 (5 points)

Hi all

When I try to make a pipe (vertical line) on my Belgian Azerty keyboard (option shift L), it launches iTunes. Input setting is Belgian keyboard and as far as I remember I was able to make pipes under snow leopard or before installing MacTex. When I pop up the virtual keyboard, all special characters work except the pipe and its neighbour (option shift M which makes some kind of O).

How do I restore the special character shortcut? I need it for logical programming.

Thanks !

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Azerty-Belgium
  • Tom Gewecke Level 9 (77,125 points)

Option Shift M on a Belgian keyboard is supposed to make Ó, so I don't understand why you think that is not working right.

It sounds like someone has set Option Shift L as a keyboard shortcut.  Go to system preferences/keyboard/keyboard shortcuts and have a look and try Restore Defaults.

• Zevacu Level 1 (5 points)

It's not that I don't think it doesn't work, it just ... doesn't work. Both keys don't turn out anything, and the virtual keyboard doesn't change when pressing the keys. I suppose that just like Option Shift L, it is occupied by some other command. The weird thing is that for Option Shift L, I know that it launches iTunes. I just don't know why and how to change it. I've already restored defaults, yet the key combination wasn't in it either. Mystery remains for now, but thanks for helping!

If option shift M doesn't do anything at all, check system preferences/speech to make sure it has not been set as the trigger for Text to Speech or Speech Recognition.

Well, it seems option shift M also launches iTunes. I have no clue... Speech isn't activated.

Very strange, have never heard of such a problem before.  Perhaps you should ask in the iTunes forum to see if anyone knows how such a thing could occur.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/itunes

Problem solved. The shortcut was in the program I like stars that's running invisibly in the background. Option shift L and option shift M lowered and raised the number of stars for a song, and if iTunes was inactive, launched it.

My bad! Thanks for helping.