5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 6:00 AM by R C-R
janchristoff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

I heard that making a combo update on your mac would/could make it run faster. Does anyone know how to make such a combo update and does it make the mac really working faster?

J

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)
  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (5,955 points)

janchristoff wrote:

Hi,

I heard that making a combo update on your mac would/could make it run faster. Does anyone know how to make such a combo update and does it make the mac really working faster?

J

You don't make it, you download it and install it from here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Pete

• janchristoff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

and does it speed up your mac or why should I do it? thanks for the answer

• petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (5,955 points)

janchristoff wrote:

and does it speed up your mac or why should I do it? thanks for the answer

The Combo update does a complete update from the base 10.8 to 10.8.3 which is a lot cleaner than using incremental backups (10.8.1 then 10.8.2 then 10.8.3) I have always used the Combo dates and it seems to keep the computer at a more hassle-free level than using the others. Yes, I believe it speeds the computer up a little more than using all the other updates, but that's just my opinion. Many others in the Forums here also swear by the Combo update install.

Cheers

Pete

• janchristoff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

all right! I'll do it. Thanks

• R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (15,205 points)

janchristoff wrote:

and does it speed up your mac or why should I do it?

1. If there is nothing wrong with your system files to begin with, it won't do anything the incremental updates don't do.

2. If there is something wrong with a system file that hasn't been updated since the base version of the OS was released, it won't fix it (because that file isn't in the update so it can't replace the bad one).

3. If there is something wrong with a system file that is included in the combo update, it will get replaced with a good copy, which may fix some problems but not others -- for instance, if the bad file caused mis-operation of the OS that resulted in other files being corrupted, replacing it will stop any further damage but not fix the other files.

So basically, the combo updates aren't really any "cleaner" than the incremental updates, but they can fix some issues that the incremental ones can't.