Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nowhere does this article define what verbose mode is so I know if I want it or not.

Nowhere does this article define what verbose mode is so I know if I want it or not. I wanted to make this observation a comment about the article, but I don't see a way to do that. The article needs to be revised.

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 8:31 AM

3 replies

Apr 10, 2013 8:41 AM in response to aamead

Verbose Mode is useful for troubleshooting where there may be something hanging in the boot sequence. It will scroll the text of the system as it's booting. Immediately after, assuming it can, it will just go to the regular login screen or directly to your user, if you have automatic login set. It may also show the shutdown sequence, on shutdown. It will only do this one time.

The question I would ask is why do you want to use Verbose Boot?

You aren't speaking to Apple here, just other users.

Apr 10, 2013 8:34 PM in response to baltwo

Thanks, WZZZ and baltwo. Your combined contributions clear it up: Verbose is what I call Terminal mode. (Maybe my term is better, because one needs a Verbose reboot after a Terminal crash ; ^ ) I now know I have had no need to use it on startup.

My point was as a writer: If I want to explain how someone can get into Verbose mode, I first explain what it is and its value. The article leaves me asking exactly what WZZZ says: Why would I want to use Verbose mode—preceded by: What is it? I'm hoping that Apple will see my topic and fix it, but I'm not holding my breath....

Even the osxdaily article only hints at the value of Verbose, but that was enough to provide the clarity the original article lacks. I have the Terminal alias on my dock, but I don't think I've used it more than once in four years. I'm no geek, and when those things happen I just march to the Genius Bar, where THEY boot up in Verbose mode. To me it's a testament to the stability of the evolved OS—or more to the fact that I haven't changed how I use my MBP in years or download strange new third-party apps.

Again, thanks for the help.

Nowhere does this article define what verbose mode is so I know if I want it or not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.