Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I got a new iPhone 5 from Vodafone but when i took it to the Apple store following a very bad battery charge they refused to service it as it had "Non Apple stickers and was missing the water sensor"

Hi, we purchased a new iPhone 5 16 GB in balck through our business account with Vodafone.

We’ve had this phone just under 2 month and it has had a battery issue that seemed to only get worse by time. We tried the usual fixes by applying the latest iOS and doing a complete restore to factory settings with no results.

The battery would not hold charge for long and the user had to keep constantly charging it through the day.

We’ve had similar issues in the past with iPhone 4 and the 4S to which the fix was always to take the iPhone back to the Apple store and get it replaced under warranty.

When I went to the Apple store after inspecting the phone they told me that they can not service nor replace the phone as it had

“Random Code Stickers” on the inside of the phone which are not consistent with any repair work done in any Apple repair store and that a “water sensor “ attached to the inside of the screen was missing as well as “Burn marks” to the back on the screen.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their phone?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 9:20 AM

13 replies

Apr 11, 2013 1:17 AM in response to KiltedTim

I did but I was wondering if anyone has had a phone with a missing water sensor.

Vodafone wanted to charge me for a new phone which is unacceptable! The phone was suppose to be new and to find out that it had missing parts and some work done to it is just shocking.

I'm waiting for our account manager to talk to his manager!

How would i go about reporting the issue to Apple if the account manager is not willing to sort it out?

Apr 11, 2013 8:02 AM in response to JamieAmunRa

All I can say is that I've not seen any report in these forums of anyone receiving an iPhone, of any model, actually missing a sensor. So it's highly unlikely that Apple shipped the iPhone that way, and particularly not with some "random code stickers" also on the inside. It definitely sounds like Vodaphone sold you a used iPhone, possibly one that they took back and put through some sort of third-party reconditioning.

Regards.

Apr 11, 2013 8:05 AM in response to diesel vdub

Mate, I'm trying to find out if it was shipped like that or not. If someone else has had the same issue then I can go back to Apple and have them look into it further. If not then as I said Vodafone is selling second hand phones and they will have to replace the phone.

Vodafone account manager is saying that he has never heard of anything like it.

So I'm left with one of 3 answers.

1: The phone was shipped like that so its a factory error.

2: The Apple genius doesn’t know what he's talking about then I can go back to the store and ask for a second opinion.

3: Vodafone is selling second hand phones as new.

I need to narrow it down so I can deal with the account manager appropriately

Apr 11, 2013 8:05 AM in response to JamieAmunRa

if Vodafone is selling second hand phones as new.

Probably

My question is: Has anyone in the past had a similar problem with a missing part ie water sensor in a new iPhone 5

It appears not

If Apple have said that the iPhone has been tampered with IT HAS

I suggest that Vodafone instead of returning faulty iPhones to Apple are using some backstreet organisation

to fix them can't imagine why as the iP5 is still under warranty but that is Vodafone

You have been told , this is between you and Vodafone ,nothing to do with Apple

You haven't mentioned which country you are in but trading laws in your country must provide protection although it appears to be a Business transaction rather than consumer purchase

May 7, 2015 5:19 AM in response to JamieAmunRa

Did you ever find a solution?

My wifes iphone5 has the loose screen problem, should have been an easy fix, but told in store that there are 3rd party parts inside. Like you we bought it new and have never had any work done on it. They won't even look at it.

Phone carrier say the deliver apples product sealed so not their problem, yet apple don't want to know.

Thanks

Stephen

May 7, 2015 10:16 AM in response to spage79

@spage79: my guess is if you bought that iphone 5 as "new" from your carrier and if there are third party parts in the iphone, then you really have a refurbished phone that your carrier sold to you. keep in mind that the iphone 5 is an old model. if your wife got it recently like in the last year or two, it's my guess it's refurbished to be like new with new parts inside like at least the battery replaced etc.

whatever the situation, if the apple store refuses to fix or replace the screen, you are better off either going to an outside phone repair place who will most likely do it for you cheaper, or replacing the screen yourself. otherwise, just get a new iphone. good luck.

I got a new iPhone 5 from Vodafone but when i took it to the Apple store following a very bad battery charge they refused to service it as it had "Non Apple stickers and was missing the water sensor"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.