Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Multiple External Hard Drives...problems!

Hi,

So, I just got a new 2012 Mac Mini Server. I'm having multiple issues, but the most pressing one involves backups.

I have a 1TB external drive which I've set up with Time Machine to backup the Mini's hard drive. No problem.

Now, I have two 2TB drives which I've been using with my old white Santa Rose MacBook running Leopard to store Movies/Music/TV Shows and to back those up. I was using Time Machine for that and had no issues.

I, also, had two 2TB drives on which I was storing and backing up my own films/artwork/writings and these were connected to my ancient PPC G5 running Tiger. As Time Machine does not run on Tiger and the built in WD SmartWare did not run on it either, I was rather carelessly just trying to remember to copy stuff over to the 2nd drive after I'd made any major additions or changes.

Now, the WD SmartWare is only giving me the option to backup the Mac Mini hard drive which I have no need for nor interest in as Time Machine is taking care of that; I cannot seem to make the WD SmartWare software allow me to choose any external drive to back up any other external drive.

When I attempted to add the backup drives to Time Machine as backups and the other two as primary drives, I was told there was not enough space which there clearly is as I've been using them to back up all along and none of the drives are full.

What are my options here? I have Time Machine backing up the Mac Mini hard drive to Back Up Drive 1. I have Primary Drive A not being backed up by Back Up Drive A and Primary Drive B not being backed up by Back Up Drive B. Is there other software which will let me do what I need to do? I need regular, reliable backups of this data.

Thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), OS X Server

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 1:11 PM

5 replies

Apr 11, 2013 8:40 AM in response to Linc Davis

WD SmartWare will only allow me to back up the Mini's SSD for some reason. Time Machine keeps claiming I have not enough space on the back up disks to back up the main drives; I prefer not to have to erase months worth of already saved back ups, if possible, in the attempt to make Time Machine understand how to back up the data.

I have used Carbon Copy Cloner before and could not get it to do what I needed, either, which was automatic backups of any changes or additions or deletions to the drive while maintaining an archive of backups.

Time Machine Multiple External Hard Drives...problems!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.