Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a website that teaches you c programming?

I am looking for a very simple website that can teach me c programming. I have been searching and can not find a simple and easy to use website for this.

Is there something compatable to w3schools or something?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 12:32 PM

I am not a programmer, but I was interested in programing c this is a really good book (easy) on the subject, http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Guide-2nd-Edition/dp/0672305100

11 replies

Apr 11, 2013 5:26 AM in response to pjdube

Hi,

If you are trying to learn C, I just told that you have made a great dicision, as C is the strongest, most common programming language, which is the basis for many modern programming languages used today, such as C#, Java, Objective-C, C++ and more.

My over 20 years experience in programming, says that the best way to learn a programming language, is reading books. For you to get started, I recommend a book which is designed with a new coming student in mind. These books are written as a text book and have serveral simple exercises to solve. There are many books like this on the market. The first book I have read on C programming, was Teach Yourself C, from Herbert Schildt. I am sure there are many good, and may be better ones out there, but you should know that Schildt is the author of best selling programming titles in the world.

I am also an author and trainer, currently working on a web site to be an academic place for those interested in the C family of programming languages, specially C++, Objective-C and the C itself. You may now that Objective-C is the programming language of choice of Apple. But programming in Objective-C requires a good understanding of C and object-oriented programming concepts. In other words, programming for Apple devices and writing good quality code, is not possible without being a good C prgrammer in the first place. I am trying to bring my 2 decades experince to the web for those people like you.

Anyway, I am here and will be happy to answer your questions if I am able to do this. I hope this helps.

Good luck

Mani Ghasemnia Hamedani

Apr 11, 2013 5:47 AM in response to pjdube

One more recommendation, but again not a website. I agree with others that you're better of with a well-structured book then use web forums and so on to ask for help once you have a grasp of the language.

I've read a number of beginners books on C. By far the best, particularly if its your first programming language is this one, IMO:

Learn C on the Mac | Apress

If you want a website because you want the material on screen rather than on print, download the Kindle for Mac app (free) and buy the kindle version of the book.

Once you've worked your way through that, try to get hold of a copy of 'The C Puzzle Book', which will make the difference between being someone who understands the language and someone who can really use it. 🙂

Good luck.

Apr 11, 2013 6:46 AM in response to softwater

You are write, Learn C on the Mac is a very good book.

softwater wrote:

If you want a website because you want the material on screen rather than on print, download the Kindle for Mac app (free) and buy the kindle version of the book.

Don't you think it is a better solution for those who like to read on-scrren materials, to purchase an iPad (if they don't have one) and the .epub version of the book to read it using iBooks, or a PDF one to read it with Goodreader or another app that opens PDFs?

Reading .epub files with iBooks is more enjoyable, regardless of the so much beautifull and bright screen of iPad.

In my opinion those days of reading paperback books is over. An iPad works so much better. I don't want to mention what you can do with an ebook that is not possible with a printed book, as you all know it very well and better than me. I just want to say that with an iPad, you can always have your entire ebooks library, every where every time, which is so important to me and may be other people who are interested in reading books.

Mani Ghasemnia Hamedani

Apr 11, 2013 8:22 AM in response to softwater

Hey guys, thanks for all that. I purchased two books already. One of them is Learn C on Mac, which I am finding perfect. It is just the right book I needed -- it walks me through how to do it, step by step, and is very careful to make sure I understand it.

You guys are right though, it is better doing it from a book, so thanks for the advice. I hope I will learn fast. I already know HTML and CSS, but I know that this is completely different.

Thanks for all your help.

Is there a website that teaches you c programming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.