Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move .band project from Mac mini to MBPr

I have created a xxxx.band project on my MacMini and Iwant to work on it on my macbook

When I to copy and paste to my public folder over my LAN

I am told Ican not copy ................

I am the ownwer of the Lan and have set persion using chmod 777

Any advice welcome

Thank you all

Ken

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 12:44 PM

8 replies

Apr 10, 2013 3:11 PM in response to kreid4

Copying a GarageBand file between computers on a LAN shouldn't be a problem. There is nothing special about a GarageBand file that makes it dfferent from any other file. A few things to consider.

• A GarageBand file (.band) is a special Finder file, a "Package" file which is actually a folder. You could (but shouldn't) open it fromt the files Shortcut Menu "Show Package Contents"
  • If you used the Terminal command chmod 777, you might have changed only the permisseon of the file (the folder) and not its content. Maybe there are files inside that have permission conflicts with the target machine you want to copy to. I think you have to use the option -r with the chmod command to apply the permission to all the folders content.
  • Using the zip file is a general (very handy) procedure to be used not specifically for GarageBand. It "freezes" the folder content and prevents any alteration due to copy procedures.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Apr 10, 2013 8:45 PM in response to kreid4

When I to copy and paste to my public folder over my LAN

I am told Ican not copy ................

The size of the project may be too large for "copy and paste". Compressing reduces the size considerably. And why not simply drag the project to the public folder? Then you do not need to copy it to your paste buffer?

Anyway, seeing that you are using Mt. Lion - do you have Mt. Lion on both systems? Then I'd prefer "Air Drop" to transfer data between the macs. AirDrop accepts uncompressed folders. Simply select the AirDrop icon in the Finder's Sidebar (on both Macs) and drag your project to your user picture from the account on your MBP.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 11, 2013 12:45 PM in response to léonie

I don't think copy+paste has a file size limitation besides the actual installed memory. However copy+paste files

via the Clipboard is fairly new to OSX and the way it behaves, I think it just copies the file path to the clipboard and not the actual file. No need for that anyway. When you hit paste in the Finder, the file will just be copied to the new Finder window with the visual progression bar. So it is still a variation of the drag and drop procedure.

AirDrop

Yes it is a nice feature which is handy when you want to exchange files with other users on a network. However, if you want to exchange files with your own computers (i.e. desktop, laptop), this is not the right tool. It involves too may steps.

I find two other options much faster:

User uploaded file

Share Screen

Select the network computer in the Finder sidebar and open t its screen via Share Screen. Now you can just drag and drop files between computer (screens)

Connect As

Mount the other network computer as a Shared Device via the Connect As button. Even better, you can make an Alias of the target directory of your shared computer by dragging the folder onto the sidebar. From now on you select that item in the sidebar with one click and the computer mounts as a shared device and opens that folder in the the Finder. Voila

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Move .band project from Mac mini to MBPr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.