Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone used "Terminal" on my computer, did they hack it?

I let someone borrow my computer today and they did some stuff on the terminal app. He said he was "killing" something on his home computer so I wasn't quite sure what that meant until after.

Should I be worried about my computer getting hacked or stalked?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 2:03 PM

3 replies

Apr 10, 2013 2:37 PM in response to annezellee

I don't know you or him, but you have no idea what he may have done and you seem concerned that he may have done something untoward.

The only reliable fix is to erase your hard drive and reinstall from the beginning, data can be restored from a backup, don't restore the system files.

In future when someone wants to borrow your machine, log out and make them use the guest account, better yet, don't lend it to them.

Apr 10, 2013 3:05 PM in response to annezellee

Should I be worried about my computer getting hacked or stalked?

If you have to ask the question, you probably have cause to be concerned.

If you can, I suggest you make an appointment to take your computer in to an Apple store.

They can do a thorough job of checking and purging - more than anyone here can help you do from a distance.

If you do regular back ups, I suggest you do not do that again until the computer has been checked.

Someone used "Terminal" on my computer, did they hack it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.