Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant Damaged, Where to Find One?

İ damaged my boot camp assistant because it didn't download the latest windows software. İ went to utilities folder and right-clicked Boot Camp sofware. Then İ showed package contents, there i found the 'contents' folder and i moved all into the trash. then i emptied it. İ thought that İ could download the 'boot camp assistant' from somewhere else like most of the free softwares. But i couldn't as you guess. My computer is 2010, 15" i7 upgraded to mountain lion. Because i purchased mountain lion i didn't need other old DVDs coming with my laptop, i lost those DVDs ... So what can i do now? Live without Bootcamp Assistant forever or find someone using mac and try to copy contents folder to my mac? or should i buy a leopard DVD just for this tiny, absurdly non-downloadable software? or can someone hopefully share me a link to download boot camp asssistant? İ've got sick of it!

By the way, thank you for providing such a platform for us to find some help around. This is the first time using this forum.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 5:44 PM

Hello.

You should NEVER touch the files of your core applications. Basically anything you didnt put there, look but dont touch!

Do you have a time machine backup? If not you can try reinstalling. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1640 or by using the Mountain Lion install file you downloaded from the App Store.

xeni

8 replies

Apr 10, 2013 6:12 PM in response to XENiCraft

Do you mean a clean install? I downloaded my pre-purchased mountain lion. Can I find the setup file of boot camp assistant or do I just have to basically delete all the things from the laptop and reinstall the mountain lion? Because -as a hope- I tried to reinstall osx without clearing data, just for refreshing all my system wishing it to get my bootcamp fixed. But that did not happen at all.

Apr 10, 2013 6:14 PM in response to snckmrt

This is why you should never touch the system. You have caused this issue. The only way to recover this is to either restore it from a Time Machine backup (which could cause problems down the road with updating) or yes, do a complete reinstall and migrate your data back with Migration Assistant which is in the Utilities folder.

Apr 10, 2013 6:28 PM in response to snckmrt

Gee, youre habits are getting worse and worse aren't they?

Lemme tell you the Golden Rule of Computing:

1. Backup

2. Backup and

3. BACKUP

Never leave yourself without a backup.

Also, never anything you are not entirely sure about unless you have a verified, working backup plan in case something goes wrong. If you want to tinker, have a backup at the ready and never try it on your main system.

Hope this helps,

xeni

Boot Camp Assistant Damaged, Where to Find One?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.