Skip navigation

OSX/Linux X-HD Formats (Nadia)

631 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 8:54 PM by ds store RSS
Benjamin2102 Level 1 Level 1 (100 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 10, 2013 7:36 PM

Wondering what sucessful format(s) anybody is using on external HD's for OSX > Linux compatibility. I think <sucessful> is the key word.  I have 2 computers and a box with a pretty blinking light and my 6 year old really needs them to work.  PLEASE HELP!!!

Linux>Mint>Mate>Nadia  running on a circa 2005 PC with USB 2.0  (Based off of the Ubuntu distro).

MBP pouncing Snow Kitty

2T eX HD WesternDigital MyBook USB 2.0 factory formated for OSX

Airport Extreme base station (1st Gen)

HD is currently a network device on the Airport I want it off the immediate network and be able to get lite with my data just incase the Illuminati finds out I've discovered all their secrets.

Thanks all!

• ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 8:54 PM (in response to Benjamin2102)

Master Boot Record and exFAT formatted by Linux or Windows would be the best option for OSX/Windows/Linux compatability.

If you have Vista and above, you can try GUID as the partition format and see how it goes.

Do not format on the Mac it doesn't do exFAT right and Windows (possibly even Linux) may not be able to read it.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.