Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mercy!! Synch For Simpletons? (Detailed Instructions?)

I use my iPods (two Nano 1G’s) only for listening to podcasts.

For me, iTunes is the one and only completely non-intuitive product that Apple makes.

For four years now, I have been stumbling through the meaning of the synch podcast options. I am subscribed tio a whole bunch of podcasts. When I got lucky and managed to set things up appropriately, I succeeded in synching every few days which removed the listened-to podcasts and replaced them with un-listend-to podcasts from my Library.

Here’s the problem. I can’t remember the rules or sequences for setting this arrangement up. Everything went “South” after a series of recent “restores.”

I want to synch manually, and I have set my Summery settings to “manually manage music”

There are too many options for my simple understanding and I can’t seem to reonstruct what I had befor I did the Restores.

Is there a written set of rules for setting up a manual synch that explains ALL the options and what they actually do, including the complex selections in the “Automatically include x most recent unplayed episodes of selected or all podcasts?

Snippets of suggestions only confuse me because I can’t get my head around the underlying architecture of what’s happening. (A.D.D)

Is there a set of basic, step-by-step instructions that cover this area published or existing in a downloadable list that is specifically for this podcast-only usage.I cannot find one.

Could someone kindly point me to a written breakdown and list of instructions for this simple (to everyone but me) task?

Many thanks

---GG

iPod nano, iOS 1.x, iTunes 10.6.1, Lion 10.7.4

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 8:32 PM

3 replies

Apr 11, 2013 8:24 AM in response to roaminggnome

Thanks, but apparently I am conusing concepts because, as I said, I don't understand the architecture.

Clearly, I am lost and I need to start from scratch.

I don’t recall why my settings showed Manually Manage synch...I may have been trying to add a few extra podcasts to the mix for a trip.

This is why I need a basic set of instructions from the start to set up a synch that will simply take out the old and replace with some new from the library.

Does anybody know where the rules are for cold-start people like me? Is there a set of startup-from-scratch instructions on how to step-by-step set up a way to synch all my podcasts?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2013 9:19 AM in response to garygladstone

Manaully manage sync is not a thing. it is either manually manage or sync.

Manually manage means that you drag and drop content.

Sync means that you select your setting and then sync, transferring the content that you have selected.

Open itunes, connect ipod, go to each tab ( music, podcasts for example), make the selections that you like. Click the sync button

Mercy!! Synch For Simpletons? (Detailed Instructions?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.