Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

500mb Timecapsule to backup 480 gb disk

Hi everyone!

I have a question on how to set up timecapsule w. timemachine or other software in order to back up my macbooks harddisk;

i own a 2.66 Macbook Pro with a 480 GB internal disk (split into two partitions, one of 200 GB the other 280 GB)

I have a 500 MB Timecapsule that i used with my previous macbook, and im trying to set it up to back up my 480 gb disk.

But it seems as though Timecapsule needs more then 500 GB in order to make "several" backups.

Is there a way to set up Timecapsule so that it will only make one backup instead of many integral backups,

so that 500 GB is enough to back up a 480 GB disk?

Is it possible to do this with an applescript or another method?

Or is upgrading the timecapusle to 1 or 2 TB a better option?

Thanks!

Marieke

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MBPro + Timecapsule 500GB

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 5:17 AM

3 replies

Apr 11, 2013 6:31 AM in response to m4r13k3

But it seems as though Timecapsule needs more then 500 GB in order to make "several" backups.

It does, if you are asking about Time Machine backups. Normally, you would need a Time Capsule that had two to three times the space of the data that you wanted to backup......to allow for a good history of future backups.

Time Machine also needs about 20% extra "operating" space. So, even if you wanted to backup 480 GB only one time, you would need about a 600 GB drive.

500mb Timecapsule to backup 480 gb disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.