Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall Mountain Lion?

Hi everyone,

I want to set my macbook pro (mid-2010) to factory settings, do a completely new, clean install. (Due to some issues with the boot-up speed etc)

But, my mac originally came with OS Snow Leopard.

I still want Mountain Lion to remain on my mac: How do I do this?

(So, just to be clear, I want a clean reinstallation of Mountain Lion (& erase all my apps and files that were on my mac))

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 5:23 AM

(EDITED)

First, have a good backup either Time Machine or SuperDuper or CCC clone.

Use the DVD that shipped with your Mac to erase & install the original OS.

Then upgrade to ML via the app store.

7 replies

May 20, 2013 3:17 AM in response to jenifree

Internet Recovery should work:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

OS X Internet Recovery

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery System, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion, automatically use the OS X Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery System (Command-R method above) doesn't work. OS X Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues.

OS X Internet Recovery presents a limited interface at first, with only the ability to select your preferred Wi-Fi network and, if needed, enter the WPA passphrase. Next, OS X Internet Recovery will download and start from a Recovery System image. From there, you are offered all the same utilities and functions described above.

As with the Recovery System, reinstallation of OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion from OS X Internet Recovery requires an Internet connection. See "Supported network configurations and protocols" below.

Some computers that did not ship with OS X Lion or OS X Mountain Lion installed may have a software update available that allows them to use Lion Internet Recovery.

Reinstall Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.