Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt monitor stopped working

Hi All -

I have a new retina MacBook Pro 13-inch and Thunderbolt monitor. The monitor worked fine for a couple of days and now it won't light up when I connect it to my rMBP. It's getting power ok and the pass-through USB ports (on the back are passing power). But when I connect to to my rMBP, the USB ports lose power (iphone stops charing and chirps) and the monitor is never recognized.

I fixed it one by unplugging the power plug on the rear of the monitor, then replugged it back in, but now that doesn't work either

I tried:

 restarting the mac

 shut down and restart

 PRAM reset

 both Thunderbolt ports

 all combinations of Mac power/monitor plug in

Anyone else?

Thank you.

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 8:57 AM

9 replies

Apr 11, 2013 9:52 AM in response to PowerPage.org

I have similar problem with MBP Retina 15 and tried all the same solutions - including unplugging display for 5 minutes. MIne working fine (with minor bugs) for about a year.

When plugging Thunderbolt cable into MBP, system preferences recognizes external monitor and mirroring options. Depending upon arrangement and mirroring - I can move the cursor around - off MBP screen to blank (completely dark) Thunderbolt screen and back again - just nothing showing on the Thunderbolt. I have also plugged the Thunderbolt into an Airbook that I used to use with it - same results.

Any ideas besides going to Apple store?

thank you

Apr 16, 2013 7:57 AM in response to PowerPage.org

One more symptom (yes, it's still dead) that I thought I'd share.

My Thunderbolt monitor passes power through to the connected MagSafe adapter no problem. It powers my MacBook fine, 100 percent of the time. But here's where it gets weird...

The USB ports on the rear pass power. I have a USB fan and a USB > Lightning adapter for my iPhone 5 plugged into the back of the monitor and both provide power -- UNTIL I plug the Thunderbolt plug into my rMBP13. As soon as I plug TB into my MBP, the USB ports on the rear lose power (fan turns off and iPhone stops charging). As soon as I unplug TB from my MBP the fan starts again and my MBP resumes charging (as noted by that distinctive chirp).

So I suspect that it's a defective monitor. It worked fine for about a week, then it was intermittant for about a week. Now the screen won't light up at all, and the USB pass-through ports are acting up too.

I think someone needs a trip to the genius bar. Which isn't trivial because it's mounted to a VESA adapter and an arm bolted to my desk.

(sigh)

Apr 24, 2013 1:18 PM in response to PowerPage.org

Update:

I let my Thunderbolt Display "marinate" (read: sit unplugged) for a week, then decided to plug it in, and guess what? It started working again.

I happily for forgot about this thread <!> for a spell while happily using my Thunderbolt display for a week +/-

Then, boom, today -- about a week later -- the same symptoms are back. Monitor won't light up. Passes Magsafe power to my rMBP13 100% of the time, passes USB and Ethernet when the Thunderbolt cable is unplugged, but the pass-through Ethernet and USB ports shut off as soon as I plug the Thunderbolt cable into my rMBP13.

This monitor is a lemon.

Jun 3, 2013 9:23 AM in response to PowerPage.org

Update:

The issue returned - AGAIN with mine as well. What I noticed was - both times I experienced the total blackout - the power had gone out to my office. It appears the Thunderbolt doesn't know how to restart when the power comes back on.

I did the recommend steps (restart, PRAM reset, unplug the monitor for 10 minutes). I did all of these - and still no display. But - unplugged the Thunderbolt one more time for just a few seconds - and... it's working again. My instinct tells me that the Thunderbolt is not well set up for power outages.

Jun 13, 2013 8:41 AM in response to dmopp

Update again,

I struggled with the again with the return of this issue related to power out to the Thunderbolt - and could not get it to come back on - until --- I set Control Panel Display preferences to - mirrior - AND then then unplugged the thunderbolt - waited - and plugged back in. Prior to that I tried all kinds of combinations of PRAM reset, restart....

Jul 23, 2016 3:13 AM in response to dmopp

Been battling with none starting Thunderbolt screens for a few years and may have a solution that works ..... for some at least.

I have one TB 27 running on a windows (Win 7) MBP, and another running on a MBP with OSX only.

My usual fix is to swap the screens over between the two computers, and mess around with the power plugs and Thunderbolt cables and sooner or later things come alive again. Trick then is to keep the power on ..... trouble usually occurs after an abrupt power cut..... black out .... pulled power plug etc.

Today I couldn't get the Screen to fire up on either system until I had it running back on the OSX machine in extended mode and pulled both the screen power cable and the Thunderbolt cable with the computer on. Then re-plugged the thunderbolt cable back in to the computer and then the monitor power back into the back of the screen.

Noticed after about 8 secs, the "dead" screen flickered but didn't come back on. Repeated the process and this time had more flicker and a bit of a Ghost..... repeated about five times with more flickering and stronger ghosting each time until the screen came back on.

This solution may be already well known...? ...... if not ..... hope it helps..!!

Cheers .... MV

thunderbolt monitor stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.