Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade 2012 iMac 21.5" RAM

I know that it is extremely hard to get to the memory and hard drive on the latest iMac (ungluing screen, etc). I've always thought iMacs were hard to upgrade and have never done one myself. I have used authorized Apple repair shops to do upgrades, so my warranty has never been voided.

Is that possible? Could I go to one of those shops, have the HD upgraded to a 3TB drive and get some more RAM in there without voiding the warranty? Has anyone attempted this?

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 7:42 AM

9 replies

Apr 11, 2013 7:54 AM in response to Lukcresd

I may be wrong, but even if it's do-able I'm pretty sure you'll invalidate your warranty, especially if it's not done by Apple - and I imagine Apple wouldn't do it. Catch 22.

From what I've read as regards feasibilty of actually doing the upgrades it's a case of 'don't even think about it'.

If you want a Mac with a different spec, and you've got one of the new 21.5 inchers, you'd do better to sell it and buy anew to the spec you want.

Apr 11, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Lukcresd

I think as long as you take it in to an Apple Store for parts replacements or an Apple authorized reseller/repair center, I think this will not void the AppleCare warranty.

I believe the warranty will be voided if you open up the iMac, yourself, and attempt to replace the RAM and hard drive, yourself.

You will have to go there with your requests and ask to make sure it won't void the AppleCare warranty.

Of course, you'll have tp pay for these RAM and hard drive upgrades, yourself. This is not considered a repair or failed part in the iMac.

You will have to ask someone at an Apple store, probably at the Genius Bar about this, as I am not 100 percent about this.

Message was edited by: MichelPM

Upgrade 2012 iMac 21.5" RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.