Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes match with OS 10.5.8

Hi

my G5 uses OS 10.5.8 so apparently can't access icloud (grrrr no backward compatibility), but has a itunes match switch....so am confused if i subscribe can i use match without icloud??

Any advice gratefully received

PS in the apple store they advised that itunes match worked on ANY wireless network and so was not linked to your iCloud......

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 9:22 AM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, thx very much, but am still confused - to quote apple

"With iTunes Match, all your music — even songs you’ve imported from CDs — can be stored in iCloud. So you can access your music from all your devices and listen to your entire library, wherever you are."

so how can i do that ifthe computer my itunes is on can't connect to the cloud???

Apr 11, 2013 12:35 PM in response to dixonjdc

Hi,

I understand your confusion. iTunes Match and iTunes in the cloud are two separate functions.

iTunes in the cloud need OSX lion or greater. This function allows you to redownload previous purchases without going into the iTunes Store and purchased section. See this http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/features/itunes-in-the-cloud/

For iTunes Match you need a mac that has iTunes 10.5.1 or greater. Match scans your library and makes you library available to use on your OS devices. See http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/itunes-match/

iCloud is also separate entity. http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Jim

Apr 11, 2013 12:39 PM in response to dixonjdc

All you need is a WiFi connection to access the music in iTunes Match. You are confusing "cloud-based data storage" with "iCloud." They are different services.

iTunes Match minimum system requirements:

You need iTunes 10.5.1. Minimum system requirements for this version is 10.5.

Apr 11, 2013 12:52 PM in response to Kappy

ok, thanks both I assumeits just apples descriptions then that are confusing - for instance Jimzgoldfinch when I goto the link you inserted re itunes match it says:

"When it’s in iCloud, it’s available on all your devices"

But I think you are both saying that whilst thats true, my itunes library does not NEED to be on iCloud for my iphones/ipad to pick itup anywhere in the house/in starbucks or anywhere with wifi......

JC

Apr 11, 2013 1:03 PM in response to dixonjdc

Your iTunes Library is not in iTunes Match, only the tracks in your library will be. Your library remains on your computer. iTunes Match is just a specialized cloud storage service.

You have to understand that once you put your music in iTunes Match, you must have a WiFi connection on your iDevice to access it. If you delete all the music you have stored on your iDevice, then you must be able to download tracks from iTunes Match before you can play them on your iDevice. iTunes Match is not a music "streaming" service. It's just a data storage service.

iTunes Match on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

iCloud- iTunes Match

iTunes- How to add a computer or iOS device to iTunes Match

iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match Availability

iTunes Store- Troubleshooting iTunes Match

iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match Availability

Itunes match with OS 10.5.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.