Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another Hot MacBook

I received my MacBook today. White, 60GB HD, 1GB ram. Currently have a DVD playing and the entire left side of the unit is insanely hot. Honestly I am surprised it is not engulfed in flames. As a former G4 iBook owner I was used to my laptop getting warm, but this is just ridiculous. There is no way I could have the MacBook sitting on my lap.

We are getting an Apple store here in mid-July. Hopefully it will make it until then.

MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on May 25, 2006 3:34 PM

11 replies

May 25, 2006 3:39 PM in response to TUD

Don't wait until then,

Because the return policy is limit to 2 weeks, it is better to act now before you stuck with a defect model.

Some post outside this forum saying that you could remove the plastic clear film between screen and keyboard hinge that covered and blocked the ventilation hole and make the hot air trapped inside your Mac Book.

See if there is any, the purpose of having that film might be for protecting the logic board from the dust or particle during assembly and shipment. But if there is any you can peel it off and feel how it affect the temperature.

May 25, 2006 3:45 PM in response to TUD

I need to borrow a laser temp gauge from someone and see what the exterior temp reading is. When and if I accomplish this I will certainly post it.

What I do not understand is that this is a 'known' issue with the MacBook Pro and Apple has carried it over to the MacBook. You would think they would have resolved the issue by now?

May 25, 2006 6:07 PM in response to TUD

I'm still... slave to windows and pc.. hehe... but i wanna switch to apple... because of the great invention of bootcamp!

Ever since the bootcamp released, i been observing the apple news, bout the new laptop.. macbook!... and it finally released! hohoo... i like it so much..

but, the heat problem is the only thing that cause me hvta reconsider to buy it... well, im pretty dissapointed with it honestly... but, a glimpse of light striked in.. i found this in news.. and just wanna ask all the macbook owners..
IS IT REAL??

the person claimed that.. there is a laminated plastic blocked the fan holes... this is the photo of it.. after he had took it out... the temperature dropped dramtically.. which is.. awesome..

this is the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gstahl/153078462/

this is the news:
http://gertstahl.blogspot.com/2006/05/macbooks-vent-blocked.html

: )

kev

Another Hot MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.