Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mini is slow

New Mac Mini 2.5 gHz core I5, 4 GB RAM seems slower than the old core 2 (NOT core 2 duo) Macbook Pro it replaced. The computer is subject to frequrnt spinning beach balls, sometimes slow (5 or 6 seconds) reaction to the keyboard input and slow loading and execution of programs. The problem is not a slow internet connection as the connection is to FIOS over wired ethernet.

I have tried disconnecting the external disks to no avail. the system is running the latest verision of Mountain Lion (10.8.3) and all programs are up to date. The problem affects all programs used.

I may have made an error in originally commissioning the machine because I transferred by doing a SuperDuper clone of the MBP disk and transferring it to the Mini. I then upgraded the operating system from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I did this to avoid reinstalling the programs, some of which I no longer have disks for. Another clue, the computer thinks that its name is "Kathy's Mac Book Pro 2" and I have not figured out how to change it. I am thinking that the solution is to do a clean operating system reinstall. I used the same method in transferring to my iMac 3 years ago and have not had a problem with it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed. (the computer is covered by applecare®)

Thanks for any input.

John Freitag

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 11:45 AM

2 replies

Apr 11, 2013 12:00 PM in response to JohnFreitag

Hi John, cloning is a great clue, I suspect you have something incompatable running in the Background...

Open Activity Monitor, Show:>All Processes, sort on CPU%, see if anything using too much CPU% when this happens.

Open Console in Applications>Utilities & see if there are any clues or repeating messages when this happens.

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts (Users & Groups in later OSX versions)>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

Apr 11, 2013 12:08 PM in response to JohnFreitag

JohnFreitag wrote:

Another clue, the computer thinks that its name is "Kathy's Mac Book Pro 2" and I have not figured out how to change it.

BDAqua's advice is good. I agree that you are probably looking at needing a clean installation.

On the simpler question above, you should be able to change the computer's name in System Preferences>Sharing.

dick glendon

New Mini is slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.