Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting files

I have many files in my iTunes library that are .wav format. I'd like to convert them to ALAC. Is there a way to convert the files and maintain the other file information such as number of plays etc?

Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.93 GHz 8 GB

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 11:13 AM

10 replies

Apr 12, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Airsculpture

I understand that. What I am trying to do is take files that are already in iTunes that are .wav files. I know that I can just select convert files and change them to Apple lossless files. But I also want to maintain the information from the .wav files like number of plays, last time played etc.

Can that information also transfer when you convert the file?

Apr 12, 2013 8:37 AM in response to D10S

D10S wrote:

Can that information also transfer when you convert the file?

I could be mistaken, but no, not to my knowledge. Since a new file has to be created when cross-converting it won't have any of the associated metadata like play counts, etc. Although... now that I think about it you might be able to find something to help you at http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

Apr 12, 2013 10:42 AM in response to D10S

You can covert the WAV files with iTunes.

You may be able to "trick" iTunes by then deleting the original WAV file in /Music/iTunes/iTunes media/Artist/Album (not in the iTunes window) and attempt then to play the original file in iTunes.

You can also try this script -> iTunes Track CPR v1.3

Convert the file, delete the WAV in the iTunes media folder.

Select the track in iTunes and run this script.

Converting files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.