Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI in Mainstage 2 Playback plugin

My live setup: after years of using Logic for audio playback and MIDI stuff and Mainstage for my guitar sounds, I'm now using Mainstage 2 as my standalone live rig (with an Apogee Ensemble as my interface). All of my drum tracks and some additional synth pads come through the new and brilliant Playback plugin (the inclusion of which is what made the switch possible), with all my guitar sounds coming out of Mainstage, and it's been working perfectly.

However, I really miss being able to drop in MIDI program changes so that I can have automated guitar patch changes happening at specific points in the song without having to have a foot controller on the ground. As I have a lot of guitar processing happening, it really detracts from the live dynamic for me to be dealing with pedals -- especially when it's not necessary!

So I really have two questions here:

1. Is there a way to drop MIDI patch change messages into the Playback plugin (or elsewhere in Mainstage) so that I could have my guitar patches change in time with the song (e.g., clean sound for verses, diry for choruses, etc.)? If yes: can this be done internally, without having to route to an external MIDI interface?

2. As my other band mates also use Mainstage, is there a way to send multiple patch change messages out of the box to their respective laptops so that their patches change as well (I have an old Emagic Unitor 8 MIDI interface on hand)?

I've only just upgraded to Mainstage 2, and I'm enjoying all the new changes; this kind of MIDI integration is all that seems to be preventing Mainstage from being the perfect program for my needs (I'm hoping to control lighting via DMX the same way, so this kind of MIDI functionality would be ideal here -- and I suspect many others feel the same way).

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 12:54 PM

9 replies

Apr 12, 2013 12:37 AM in response to William F.

Hi

William F. wrote:

1. Is there a way to drop MIDI patch change messages into the Playback plugin (or elsewhere in Mainstage) so that I could have my guitar patches change in time with the song (e.g., clean sound for verses, diry for choruses, etc.)? If yes: can this be done internally, without having to route to an external MIDI interface?

Playback only does audio, so MIDI program changes are out.

Mainstage2.2 does have a "MIDIFile" capability, but it is of limited use (imho). You can get MS to transmit a MIDI file to an external deevice "on patch change", but once you have triggered the file, there is no way to stop it.

You may be able to knock something together such that the MIDI File & Playback start on Patch Change, with the file sending out PG messages which are then looped back into MS.

William F. wrote:

2. As my other band mates also use Mainstage, is there a way to send multiple patch change messages out of the box to their respective laptops so that their patches change as well (I have an old Emagic Unitor 8 MIDI interface on hand)?

This one is easier. Setup External MIDI channels with the MIDI Port/Channels appropriate for the "remote" Macs. Cable up via MIDI interfaces. For each Patch, you can assign a MIDI Prog Change message for each External Channel.

CCT

Jul 23, 2013 7:15 PM in response to William F.

William,

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! I was waiting, it seemed forever for MS3 to come out. How to my disappointment there was not a MIDI player. That was the one feature I was looking for the most. I use DMXIS for my lighting needs and have programmed all my songs lighting at every verse, chorus, climax and sultry softs in LP with lighting effects. MS, after all, is a program for LIVE music... and what is a great show without amazingly choreographed lighting? I have been searching all over for a MIDI player that I can sync with MS as an AU plugin. Have you found any? I have yet to explore using LP via the AIC driver, but cringe at the thought of loading two programs at the same time during a live performance, and is it even possible to control the two at the same time via MIDI and have them synced? This is SOOOO disappointing. And just like you, I was about to start programming all my guitar patch changes automatically for all my songs via LP MIDI player/sequencer. How do we find a work around? Please, group help??!!!

Thanx for enduring the rant...

Jul 24, 2013 12:35 AM in response to erikbojerik

Hi

erikbojerik wrote:

Booooo

Having Playback also play back MIDI is not *that* far outside the box. Is the point.

I agree completely that MS should have some useful way of playing MIDIfiles, since the current efforts are useless for anything other than short MIDI messages.

I doubt that the functionality could be added to Playback, but you would think that there would be an easy way to do it.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mainstage.html

CCT

Jul 24, 2013 5:28 PM in response to CCTM

CCTM,

I didn't mention, that I am at the end of my production limits using LP live, as 9.1.8 uses only one core for live tracks... big bummer. But since, MS3 has no midi player, I am stuck with LP live. Do you know if they have updated the live core usage in the LPX? And have you heard of anyone syncing MS with LP via IAC for the LP midi sequencer which uses very little CPU? The main issue with this, is that the LP midi sequencer/player would have to be synced with the MS Playback. Any suggestions? I am about ready to flood the user groups... ****. (yes, I will beg for the MS midi player in the feedback support page once again 😢)

Jul 28, 2013 12:51 PM in response to CCTM

CCTM,

Here is the link for my response to erikbojerik in relation to this post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4770770?answerId=22562609022#22562609022&ac_cid=tw123456#22562609 .

As you can see, we are needing a very elementary MS MIDI player that will play a file that I set up in the LP MIDI sequencer, that is in sync with a music file, that is then turned into a Playback file for MS. This is purely for automation to free up hands/feet for performance enhancement. It only needs to send MIDI messages to lighting/guitar/etc MIDI hardware.

I recognize the potential problems with IAC, and I certainly do not want two programs running at the same time. But alas, I am trying to find a stable, reliable workaround. Since MS3 is now a dead-end for me, I will result to staying with LP live, which then turns this discussion to an earlier post I made in LP posts. You were the last person to respond to that post in 2011, so I will move there and reply to you regarding "ONE Core Live procesing". thx

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3397660?answerId=16997616022#16997616022

MIDI in Mainstage 2 Playback plugin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.