Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Split OS X Volume Into 2 Partitions...Help!

I recently attempted to use Boot Camp to install Windows 8 on my Late 2012 iMac with a 3TB fusion drive.

After waiting 3 hours for Boot Camp to partition for Windows (it was stuck with the progress bar just about at the very end and the status said "Idle"), I was fed up and restarted the computer.

Everything appeared to be fine! There were two volumes shown in Disk Utility, Macintosh HD and BOOTCAMP.

Regardless of the fact that Windows failed to install because it said the partition wasn't formatted correclty...sigh...when I open disk utility there are two OS X partitions listed! What gives!

I've sinced removed Boot Camp (because frankly I don't care anymore) using the Boot Camp Assistant, but the peculiar thing is, when I load up Disk Utilty, it shows 1 volume on the 3TB fusion drive: Macintosh HD. When I click it, it says available space: 2.9 etc. GB, everything looks fine. Except when you click the drive and click Partition, it shows two wacky partitions listed, one at 2.2GTB and one at 0.8TB. What the actual f%#k.

Everything appears to be working normally..but I'm extremely concerned by this because it won't let me delete the otherwise unallocated 800GB partition. But I'm confused because it's labeled Macintosh HD...and the remove partition minus button is greyed out. And I'm NOT about to format and lose everything and start over...this ($3400) computer is two weeks old.

Gah!!! Someone help! Do I live with this, is this normal? What can I do about this?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iMac 27" (2012) 3.4GHz, 16GB, 680MX

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 1:09 PM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2013 6:42 AM in response to zachmb

zachmb wrote:

Gah!!! Someone help! Do I live with this, is this normal? What can I do about this?

Start by making a complete backup, you are right, you are not about to lose everything when you reformat or replace that drive, that's what backups are for.

When you have done that, take it to the Apple Store.

Boot Camp Split OS X Volume Into 2 Partitions...Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.