Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ERROR ITMS-6014 Language Japanese

Error message shows "Language ja for type main is only supported in epub 3 content." Why this message is happen? Now I am using iBook Author and template format. When I piblish the file that is created by iBook Author with Template, should not I choose Japanese language in the iTunes Producer?

Fundamentally how can I solve this error?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 6.1.3, iTunes Producer 2.9

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 9:03 PM

If your book is in Japanese, you must use epub3, just like the message says. iBooks Author cannot do epub3, you have to use another app, probably InDesign.

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2012/10/ibookstore-adds-language-support.html

13 replies

Apr 11, 2013 10:19 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom,

However your comment is different from the Apple Official Homepage. Apple never say the language restriction on the distribution of works produced with iBooks Author. Moreover, Apple recommends to use iBook Author for publishing the book to iPad on Japanese Apple Homepage. http://www.apple.com/jp/ibooks-author/

I believe that Apple is neither such a swindler nor trickster. Already I have spent few months with repeating to send the logs to Apple through iThues Producer. Nobody said Japanese ibook cannot be accepted.

Apr 12, 2013 6:01 AM in response to Rekitan

Rekitan wrote:

However your comment is different from the Apple Official Homepage. Apple never say .... Nobody said Japanese ibook cannot be accepted.

To complain to Apple about this you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

I am reporting what it says in Apple's iTunes Producer Guide. Before version 2.8, it gave a long list of languages, including Japanese and Chinese, which the iBookstore did not support. Starting with 2.8 it says you can put Japanese and Chinese ebooks in the iBookstore if you use epub3 format. It is well known that iBooks Author cannot do epub and Pages cannot do epub3.

Apr 17, 2013 5:53 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks again.

Now I am using not version 2.8 but 2.9. And current iTunes Producer Guide dose not shows that ibooks format in Japanese cannot be accepted.

Only one line "Do any languages require EPUB 3.0, iBooks 3.0 app, and iOS 6?" is there with language list including Japanese. Should we understand from only this sentence that we cannot use iBooks Author for Japanese to publish?

So far, there is no information iBook 3.0 app. The situation that our cmopany wasted precious time for couple of months is not being changed.

Additing one more, current iBooks Author 2.0 navicates automatically to use iTunes Producer after creating the delivery package without any caution and remarks. iTunes Producer is automatically run from iBooks Author by putting the button of Publishing.

This is quite strange for me. I don't want to say non productive words. However, I must say what is Apple?

Apr 17, 2013 8:49 PM in response to Rekitan

Rekitan wrote:

Only one line "Do any languages require EPUB 3.0, iBooks 3.0 app, and iOS 6?" is there with language list including Japanese. Should we understand from only this sentence that we cannot use iBooks Author for Japanese to publish?

Before last October, the iTunes Producer Guide said no Japanese books accepted at all. After last October it said you can submit Japanese books but they must be in epub3 format. You should know that iBooks Author has never produced .epub format, only .ibooks and .pdf. So yes I think you should understand that you cannot use iBooks Author for Japanese, and it is unfortunate that this did not occur earlier. But it is pointless to debate further about this here. Nobody in these forums represents Apple, and if you want to complain about the situation to them you need to use link for the feedback channel provided earlier.

Jan 29, 2014 9:15 PM in response to Bowie Poon

Apple requires epub3 format where the primary language is Chinese or any of 17 other languages. This is written in Apple's manual called "Using iTunes Producer 2.9 for Books." It would be great if these rules were no longer being applied, but as far as I know, there has been no change in them since they were first published by Apple in October of 2012.

iBooks Author cannot produce epub3 format, only .ibooks format. Thus according to Apple's published rules, if you want to put an Chinese book in the iBookstore, you need to use a different app -- a book submitted in .ibooks format will be rejected.

If you want to ask Apple to change the way they are doing this, you can use

http://www.apple.com/feedback

There are also some contacts at the bottom of the FAQ:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/working-itunes/sell-content/books/book-faq.html

Jan 29, 2014 9:23 PM in response to Rekitan

As Tom points out, with this problem your only option is to contact both the iBooks support team and I would suggest you contact the review team by opening iTunes Connect > Manage you Books, slect and open the page your book and use teh contact us at the bottom of the page. You will need to note the Apple ID number and teh Vendor Number to attcah to your email form.

Apple do not monitor this disccussion group pages and for you and other to debate the rights and wrongs of problems and whether or not they have been disclosed... is basically fruituless and will not help your problem.

A point to note is that yours appears to be the only post on this group about Japanese language problems, which indicates that others have read the information and do not use iBooks Author.

Jan 30, 2014 1:20 AM in response to Bowie Poon

Hi Bowie

iBook Author is a great tool. However as far as we use Asian Language, we cannot publish any document in the Market. I am not sure the reason. It could be the pressure from Japanese Book Market. Apple cannot authorize to publish Japanese document by using iBook Author. Therefore, we gave up perfectly.

So, to publish the document, we recreated epub3 documents again from scratch by using another tool. Now, our book is sold in the iBook Market. But it is not made by iBook Author.

For the personal use, you can use it. Still I keep my made book by iBook Author in my iPad. One day, I believe that Apple will change the mind for Asian Language. Until then, we have no choice . Let’s wait using iBook Author to open the market.

Jan 30, 2014 8:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

No, I don't think so if your pointed reason is right.

Normally Japanese use both styles for a horizontal text and vertical text. Especially, in case of technical documents, horizontal text is preferable. And horizontal text requires left to right page only.

Already iBook Author functionalities is enough for Japanese documents. Why not we must wait until the development to support vertical text and right to left page ?

It is really regrettable not to be able to use a great tool because of such a small insisting users in Japanese market.

Jan 30, 2014 9:11 PM in response to Rekitan

Rekitan wrote:

Already iBook Author functionalities is enough for Japanese documents. Why not we must wait until the development to support vertical text and right to left page ?

You can try to use the feedback channel to convince Apple that they should accept Japanese books with only horizontal text and no furigana. I doubt they want to go that route, but it can't hurt to ask. I doing so, provide lots of examples of books like that which would likely sell well.

Feb 4, 2014 5:31 PM in response to Rekitan

Hi Rekitan, Thanks for your reply.

Same as Japanese, Chinese use both horizontal text and vertical text too. Usage of horizontal text is majority indeed.

Can't agree with you more that why not Apple allow Chinese/Japanese iBook Author book submission to their store. What's the point that they promoting iBook Author but not allowing poeple selling books made by it?

Tom, thanks for your input too. Will try to contact Apple for this.

ERROR ITMS-6014 Language Japanese

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.