Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to use smaller drive as bootable clone if amount of data within limit?

Hello All,

The original 250 GB hard drive on my Mac Book Pro failed last week. I have replaced it with a 750 GB drive. Much bigger than I needed for my 160 GB of data, but it was all that was available at the time.

With the old drive, I used to back up my data on a 250 GB iOmega external drive, which I made into a bootable clone using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Today I purchased a 750 GB high-speed G-Drive Mini to back-up the new drive using Time Machine.

However, I would like to keep using the 250 GB iOmega as a bootable clone.

Given I only have 160 GB of data on my computer and don't expect that figure to change substantially anytime soon, is it still possible to successfully clone the new 750 GB internal drive (containing only 160 GB of data) onto the old 250 GB drive?

Can I still make incremential back-ups from the new internal drive to the smaller external drive?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 15" anti-glare mid-2009

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 6:09 PM

That all sound fine. It should continue to work until your data comes close to the capacity of the backup drive. Then differences in how files are split up will cause it to overflow a little before you expected.

When re-purposing a Hard Drive, I like to erase it with security options -- Zero all data, one pass. This makes certain every block can hold a known pattern. If a few blocks can not hold that pattern, the drive will use its spares to provide substitute blocks, up to a point.

If it runs out of spares, or has to substitute too many, you get "Initialization Failed". Better to know now than when you are trying to make a crucial backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2013 6:09 PM in response to Lutetia

That all sound fine. It should continue to work until your data comes close to the capacity of the backup drive. Then differences in how files are split up will cause it to overflow a little before you expected.

When re-purposing a Hard Drive, I like to erase it with security options -- Zero all data, one pass. This makes certain every block can hold a known pattern. If a few blocks can not hold that pattern, the drive will use its spares to provide substitute blocks, up to a point.

If it runs out of spares, or has to substitute too many, you get "Initialization Failed". Better to know now than when you are trying to make a crucial backup.

Apr 11, 2013 6:46 PM in response to Lutetia

Bad sectors automatically get re-written when new data are supplied. If the new data don't "stick" a spare will be substituted.

If you are happy with your clone, just update it. There is no need to write Zeroes to it. I was suggesting that process for when you make major changes -- it takes several hours to complete.

--------

You may prefer to use you smaller drive, Zeroed, to start a new clone, wait a little while to assure success, then start a Time Machine backup set on the larger Iomega.

Or some other approach that has not occurred to me.

Possible to use smaller drive as bootable clone if amount of data within limit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.