Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall damaged iPhoto without disc

I recently got a Macbook Pro Mid-2012 with OSX 10.8.3 which owned by my brother previously. However the iPhoto can not be opened and always says that it is damaged. I tried to look for any solution, but nothing worked.

1. Some said that I can reinstall it through DVD which come with Macbook. Unfortunately, this Macbook doesn't have any DVD inside the package.

2. I also tried to open the Recovery mode. The only option I found here is only to reinstall the OS completely.

3. Then I went to App Store, looked for iPhoto in my (and my brother's) Purchases tab. Still, I could not find iPhoto.

Is there any option for me to get back my iPhoto? I know iPhoto is a bundled apps comes with every Macbook and I don't want to spend $15 buying something I already have.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 11, 2013 6:29 PM

7 replies

Apr 11, 2013 6:41 PM in response to danielginting

Have you tried the following with your iPhoto Library? It might be the library that's damaged and not the application.

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #3, followed by #4 and then #1 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Apr 11, 2013 7:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your response Old Toad!

I tried what you suggest to do but unfortunately it didn't work. I think it is about the applications problem and not the library since everytime I try to open it, a dialog box opened and tell me that the apps is damaged or incomplete.

By the way, I checked the application size and surprisingly it only sized about 20 MB. I realy just want to reinstall it. Is there any way to do that?

Reinstall damaged iPhoto without disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.