Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Author for iPad ?

How can I create iBooks on iPad ?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 12:12 AM

10 replies

Apr 12, 2013 5:57 AM in response to nicoblondel

Look in the app store.. search "Book Creator" its the best available - also look here..

www.redjumper.net/bookcreator

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bookcreator

It creates ePubs and you will have to create additional page content to comply with Apples iBookstore requirements.

BUT, if you are only making books to pass around your friends or to download from a website and do not intend to publish to the iBookstore.... there are no Apple content requirements AND Adobe offer free software to read ePubs on PCs.

For full information get " iBookstore Formatting Guide v1.pdf " from your iTunesconnect page....

Apr 22, 2013 2:30 AM in response to nicoblondel

It's not possible to create an interactive .ibooks file directly on the iPad. iBooks Author, which only runs on a Mac, is the ONLY software for that. The iPad is also the ONLY device that allows you to view an .ibooks file type.

The other option is to use another piece of software (on computer) or iPad app that will create an .epub file type. That's the one that contains the page flip effect, but also looks much more like a 'traditional' book, just in digital form.

As well as the app vinnyvg mentions, Creative Book Builder is another good one that you can use directly on the iPad.

Hope that helps!

Jul 27, 2013 3:50 PM in response to nicoblondel

Unfortunately, BookCreator is as good as it gets- and it's a very constrained epubs format. I teach 11th grade Language Arts and I want students to create their own textbooks. So, in other words, rather than saying, go to page 355 and read "The Pit and The Pendulum" by Poe, I might say, "Go find a short story by Poe, read it, evaluate it, and put it in your textbook with some criticism of the piece. What do professional literary critics have to say about the work? What do we see of ourselves reflected in the piece?" What I'd be asking students to do here would be light years better than assigning completely ascribed texts. Much of literature is public domain and would be perfect for this idea, but there isn't the technology to keep step with what I want to do. I've written to Apple, begging them to come out with an iPad version of iBooks Author in the same way they created an iMovie version of the program for their tablet device. Right now, BookCreator is extremely limited and I could not do what I want to do with that app. For instance, just try cutting and pasting, say, T.S. Eliot's "Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" into BookCreator. It mangles the poem. Too bad. This could be such a revolutionizing device, but it comes hamstrung out of the box.

Jul 28, 2013 3:45 AM in response to Marc Hamlin

I did say it created ePubs in response to the original poster.

Did you contact Dan at Red Jumper and pose your comments about the poem? He his very helpful, although, it seems clear the app does not meet your specifications.

I think every user of IBA user has sent feedback asking for an iPad version, which would open the door to those who have no Apple computers.

Logically, iBA which is an upgraded version of Pages,could be produced for iPad as is Pages, Numbers and Keynote, but it would have a production cost and would need to free issue, so I cannot see it happening soon.

Feb 16, 2014 8:20 AM in response to nicoblondel

Looking back I find the discussion re Apple not making available iBook Author interesting. I would like it too. Larry King used to use a line - "When it's not about money, it's about money." Obviously, by not investing in an iOS version of IBA and more completely developed versions of Pages-Numbers-Keynote for iOS Apple is trying to keep iOS users still attached to their laptops and desktops. If the iPad had full working versions of all these s/w applications people would be happy with iPads and no longer need to buy Macs. We are getting pretty darn close to the iPad and wireless keyboard having the power of a regular computer. You would think a company with the huge reserves that Apple now has would just simply make it happen. The days of needing an iPhone, iPad and Mac are almost over for personal users.

Chuck

Feb 16, 2014 3:03 PM in response to ChuckDVM

I marvel at the amount of people who use Apple products - yet decry the company!

Steve Jobs was no idiot and saw that a huge propotion of internet users did not need a computers power.. but had no other option - and - that if they had an option, it would mean less sales of computers - but at the same time increase the market for a more simple portable device.

Apples sales and income figures seem to have proved him right.

Apple - IMHO - create products which they deem the "public" will need/use/buy for whatever the buyers needs.

Unlike others, Apple appear to see no point at times wasting time, talent and money to create something that is inferior to an existing product.

iBooks Author was created knowing there was a vast source of books - NOT made available because there was no inexpensive methods i.e. software or publishing, house to deal with the individuals who had the ideas, but not the financial means to publish their products.

Steve Jobs was also wise enough to make the application available FOC. Apple are now making more software free downloads to device buyers.

I fail to see how iBA could be presented on an iPad in an identicle verion to the Mac version.

The differences seen on iWorks seems to prove that point.

For those seeking an option - whatever their reasoning - to make up eBooks using iPads only, there are options available at really low price, granted they create ePubs, but can be - and 1000s are - now on the iBooks store.

I use Book Creator, which also gives a "flip page" look which many seem to prefer. It is the best of those available and has to ties to making you buy your books or other catches built in, but I am sure its makers will agree...its not as versatile as iBooks Author.

Feb 16, 2014 4:49 PM in response to vinnyvg

Vinny,

I am not decrying Apple at all. I got my first Mac Plus in 1985. And I think Steve Jobs was phenomenal. What I believe, which may or may not be true, is that seeing the next iPad or the one after that become powerful enough to run Apple's significant applications (Pages, Numbers, Final Draft, Keynote and iBook Author) will empower all of us. I don't want to own and service two computers; and the iPhone and iPad are computers. Look back a few years. Both of these devices are more powerful than Macs or PCs were years ago.

One could make a case that a WACOM tablet, a laptop and an iPad are coming together points of genius and styles of life. A tablet with a keyboard and case is a disassembled laptop. I think we're all just waiting. I have an iPhone 5, a Seagate Wireless Plus one TB wifi drive and an AppleTV all for $700 providing me with unbelievable power. Coupled with MS Visio and great apps I have phenomenal resources. With a "full featured" iPad it would go so much easier.

Chuck

Feb 16, 2014 10:55 PM in response to ChuckDVM

Obviously, by not investing in an iOS version of IBA and more completely developed versions of Pages-Numbers-Keynote for iOS Apple is trying to keep iOS users still attached to their laptops and desktops.

Does not suggest praise to me!

I don't want to own and service two computers; and the iPhone and iPad are computers. Look back a few years. Both of these devices are more powerful than Macs or PCs were years ago.

My first computer was a (in the UK) Sinclair Spectrum with a soft rubber keypad.

There were few programmes and we mostly wrote our own using Basic, followed by a BBC and later an Amiga!

Each was breaking techknowlogy in its day.... which is the point, technology has an habit of moving on in leaps and bounds - we have to keep up with it.

Apple are not going to hold back on their aim to produce more and more high tech products.

Each person has to make a choice in life based on the needs, their wants and their cash availablility.

The iPad has become a boon to people like my wife who has ditched her laptop and is happy with her iPad two and ditched her rubbish Sony Reader for a mini iPad to fill up with ibooks, she is not alone.

However, your comments were about not having iBooks Author or a verson available for iPads.

Same reason Apple will not make downgraded iPhones to compete with Samsung et al.

At this time iWorks was forced into a rebuild be user complaints and still does not have the functionality of the Mac versions, although I confess I seldon use it.

iBA would need to be downgraded and less functional - so its not going to happen for years if ever.

As I said, if you want to make eBooks on your iPad, buy Book Creator or similar.

I think what iBA does need.. is a none Apple controlled forum to debate users ideas etc,.!!!

H A G D......

iBooks Author for iPad ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.