Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the highest OS X for my iBook G3?

Hi there,

I have an iBook PowerPC G3 600MHz (14.1 LCD) laptop (it has two USB ports and one Firewire). Model number: M8413. I'm looking to give it to my Mum for web browsing and I was wondering what is the latest OS I can install (currently it is loaded with 10.1.?). Also what it the maximum RAM I can install, and what kind PC100 or PC133 (if thats right?).

Many thanks,

Richard

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 2:52 AM

Hello,

Mac OS X 10.4.11 is the highest your iBook can take.

You would need a retail Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger disk, which can be brought in places like Amazon or eBay.

Max RAM you can install is 640MB (512MB with 128 built-in)

You would need a 512MB non-ECC PC100/133

11 replies

Apr 16, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Knucklesmac

Hi Knucklesmac,

I've successfully installed 512MB of RAM on my iBook. I'm now trying to install Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. However during the installation process (quite early on) I get a 'There was an error installing the software' message. I've tried a few times now and I keep getting the same message. The disk is brand new, undamaged and I've got 10GB of free space on my iBook. Any ideas? I'm currently running 10.2.8. Should I upgrade to 10.3 before trying 10.4? Would an erase and install be a better option? (I have all the original iBook discs).

Many thanks,

Richard

Apr 16, 2013 1:47 PM in response to richardesigner

Hello Richard,

The Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger disk you have, it's the full retail version and not the upgrade?

What you might be best to do is do a clean install by first formating the drive.

Make sure you back up any files you wish to keep from your old OS.

Do the following;

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the Erase tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Highlight the drive, select Partition Tab, then Format type... MacOS Extended Journalled, select the Security Options button, choose Zero Out Data, Erase... after completion hopefully you'll be able to install.

Let us know if this works for you.

Best of luck.

Apr 16, 2013 2:31 PM in response to richardesigner

Hello,

This looks to be the correct disk. 🙂

It doesn't say CPU Drop in DVD, which is good. (That is the upgrade disk given just after Tiger was released as an upgrade)

I would do a clean install, so format the drive first and then install as per instructions.

Just make sure you have backed up any data you require first.

You really don't need to go from 10.2 to 10.3 before 10.4. You should be fine to go from 10.2 to 10.4.

What is the highest OS X for my iBook G3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.