Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant hanging

I've been trying to migrate from my old (early 2009) iMac.

There's no firewire on the new iMac, so that option is out.

So I've connected the two with ethernet. I run Migration Assistant on both, and it all sets up correctly - I get the code number on the right machine, confirm it, and it gets ready to copy.

Then it hangs. I've left it hanging for 24 hours, so it's certainly not just taking a bit of time!

It hangs at the spot where it is supposed to be calculating the amount of space - usually, though, the various areas show up quickly, then it spends time seeing how much capacity each requires - in this case the hang happens before it even says what it can copy.

I've tried a few things.

- I've made sure that the network connection is set up properly

- I've logged on as root on both systems in case that would help

- I wanted to run the migration utility from the recovery disc, but the new iMacs don't have a recovery disk (a secondary question is how to create one!)

So I'm not stuck. I could just copy the files over, but, in the past, I've found migration assistant useful for getting the right permissions so applications work properly.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 27-inch, Late 2012, 3.2Ghz Intel i5

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 5:54 AM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2013 7:33 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

Thank you for the suggestion. Both machines are on the same OS 10.8.3. I've done disk repairs on both of them and fixed permissions on both of them. I can do it again, but I don't think it's that - I can't find any messages on the console that look as if that's a problem.

Every time I've tried it, I've rebooted both machines and re-started migration assistant on both, going through the same steps.

As far as I can see, the only route left is to back everything up and then do a migration from the backup - it'll obviously take twice the time, but it should work.

Apr 13, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you Eric for those useful suggestions! If my current backup completes (it's been over 12 hours and I fear that it will run out of space backing up <1TB to a 2TB drive), I'll try that next..

Do you know if these clones work for Microsoft Office? I know that MS Office is paranoid about ending up on a different machine.

Also, I know that Logic Pro is very fussy about moving. I hope that I'll just have to de-authorise it and re-authorise it, rather than re-install it...

Apr 14, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Fustbariclation

Initial backups take a long time. I read in a discussion it took one person two days to do a backup. I think you'll be okay on space.

Microsoft Office - I'd try it, but I don't know for certain it will work. With a clone you'll get all the parts and pieces, so maybe the program will be happy. You can always reinstall it from the disks.

Logic Pro - no clue.

Good luck.

Migration Assistant hanging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.