Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

user name or password for "imap.aol.com" is incorrect. How do I correct?

How do I correct the message "The user name or password for "imap.aol.com" is incorrect? Where do I find this in Settings?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 8:15 AM

Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Tap on your AOL acct, then change your password.

8 replies

Oct 28, 2014 11:34 AM in response to hofdon

I have had issues of "password incorrect" and mail not being sent, after doing the latest IOS 8 update to both my iPhone and iPad. I tired all the different suggestions I found (deleting and re-adding my AOL account, changing my password, etc) and nothing fixed it until now! While searching around for a solution, I happened upon a post from someone. I tried doing this to all three of my AOL email accounts (on both my iPhone and iPad) and now it works great! Here what that post said to do:

"1. Set up your AOL account(s) using the AOL option

2. Go into each AOL account(s) and under the "Outgoing Mail Server" section, press the SMTP entry

3. Set the "Primary Server" to "Off"

4. Press "Add Server" and provide the following information in the "Outgoing Mail Server" section

a. Host Name - type in: smtp.aol.com

b. User name - type in your user name WITHOUT the "@aol.com" - that was the problem/change!

c. Password - type in your password

d. Use SSL - On

e. Authentication - Password

f. Server Port - 587 (mine automatically set it to port 587)

After you enter in the above info, the Primary Server will still be set to OFF, but the new server you set will be set to ON, just doesn't show up in the Primary Server section. Be sure to do the above steps for each one of your AOL accounts (if you have multiples ones).

Apparently, in the main AOL Account Information section you need to use your user name and the "@aol.com", but you need to leave the "@aol.com" out of the SMTP. However, the Primary Server has that whole section grayed out so you need to ignore that one and create another one."

Good luck! Worked for me and now I am as happy as a Lamb!!

Jun 27, 2016 4:07 PM in response to hofdon

I had this issue today. Did all the steps recommended on Internet boards. Checked I was connected, re booted phone, deleted and re set aol, checked that the settings for smpt etc were correct, and finally, went online and tried to sign on via AOL webpage. Still got the same error message. Then called aol customer tech support. After talking with them for 15 minutes, and going through those same steps again, I discovered I was in billing! And for a small fee they could put me on with a live tech support person who would answer my questions in real time! That's when I knew it was a scam. AOL disabled my free account to get me to sign up for a pay account. I hung up. Went to AOL web page and clicked 'forgot password'. The page authenticated my account, sent me a temp password, and I re set my password. Signed onto web page and confirmed it was my page. Then went back into mail settings on my phone, deleted my aol and re set it. Works fine now.

user name or password for "imap.aol.com" is incorrect. How do I correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.