You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 4 video camera is zoomed in, how to unzoom?

The photo feature seams to be fine but when I switch to video mode it seems that it is zoomed in. I cant figure out how to unzoom this, is it a bug or is it really how it is supposed to look? It doesn't look good... Thanks for the help

Ipad retina-OTHER, iOS 6.1.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 4:31 PM

One thing I learned real quick with these devices is just because it was like that from the beginning does not mean it is not a software issue from a bad install. Reset and Restore are the first basic troubleshooting steps in trying to figure out issues with iOS devices new or not.

Anyway I guess I misunderstood your issue which I thought your camera was always zoomed in. What you are seeing I suspect is normal. I never really looked at it till now, but I see the same thing with both my iPhone 4 and iPad 3's cameras. The camera is capable of taking much larger resolution photos than it can video. In the iPads case, the 5mega pixel photo is 2560x1920 where the HD video is only 1980x1080. To use all the pixels in the camera's sensor for quality video I suspect you end up with a zoomed in effect or they may also be cropping the image for video taken from the sensor capable of larger images which would also zoom it in.

My explanation is probably all wrong, but I'm sure the issue is the difference between the resolution of the video and photos. But I can confirm I see the same thing on 2 different iOS devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 13, 2013 4:31 PM in response to bl1ndsc0ut

One thing I learned real quick with these devices is just because it was like that from the beginning does not mean it is not a software issue from a bad install. Reset and Restore are the first basic troubleshooting steps in trying to figure out issues with iOS devices new or not.

Anyway I guess I misunderstood your issue which I thought your camera was always zoomed in. What you are seeing I suspect is normal. I never really looked at it till now, but I see the same thing with both my iPhone 4 and iPad 3's cameras. The camera is capable of taking much larger resolution photos than it can video. In the iPads case, the 5mega pixel photo is 2560x1920 where the HD video is only 1980x1080. To use all the pixels in the camera's sensor for quality video I suspect you end up with a zoomed in effect or they may also be cropping the image for video taken from the sensor capable of larger images which would also zoom it in.

My explanation is probably all wrong, but I'm sure the issue is the difference between the resolution of the video and photos. But I can confirm I see the same thing on 2 different iOS devices.

Apr 12, 2013 4:25 PM in response to bl1ndsc0ut

Can't real tell if what you are seeing is normal or not unless you post a screen shot. When you first start up Camera it should be zoomed all the way out by default. If you pinch in or out on the display in the Camera app the zoom slider will appear at the bottom to show you where the zoom is set. Even if you zoom all the way in it will return to zoomed out once it is restarted.

If you suspect it is not working properly Reset the iPad which will fix many issues. If a Reset doesn't fix it you will have to Restore, first with a backup then as new if it is still not working properly.

To Reset:

From the Home screen double tap the Home button to view the multitasking bar at the bottom. Tap and hold an app at the bottom till the icons wiggle with the minus button visible. Tap the button to close all apps then tap the Home button to get back to the Home page. Press and hold the Sleep button till you see the Slide to power off message and power it off. Once powered down completely press and hold the sleep button till the Apple icon appears.

Apr 12, 2013 7:51 PM in response to Stephen Spark

Thanks for the reply.

No need to restore or anything as the camera was like this from the beginning.

This is a screenshot of the photo camera

http://i48.tinypic.com/xf4wmg.jpg

And this is a screenshot of the video camera from the same distance. Notice the difference.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2znuxcw.jpg

There is no zoom slider in video mode, i see it in photo mode only...

iPad 4 video camera is zoomed in, how to unzoom?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.