12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2013 1:34 PM by Ian R. Brown
paulfromhendricks Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Still quite a bit of a noob here, but I am learning.

I have an 83 minute project edited in Final Cut Pro 10.0.8 and am using a MacBook Pro running 10.6.8.  When played back in Final Cut and in QuickTime, the video shows just fine in its full dimensions.  However, when burned to a DVD and played on two different TVs, the image is chopped down as approximated in the illustration below, which comes out of Final Cut using Share > Save current frame.

capture.jpg

The video does not appear to be reconfiguring correctly for DVD playback.  Naturally, I want this to appear in its full dimensions when viewed on a TV.  My DVD is set to play in 16:9.

The source video is 1920x1080 HD, 29.97 fps, shot with the Canon XF 422 50Mbps 1080P29.97 Linear PCM codec.

Workflow:  I have tried processing the project in Final Cut with three different sets of properties:  1920x1080 1080i 29.97i, 1280x720 720p 29.97p, and 1440x1080 1080i 29.97i.  The results are the same:  Shows fine on the computer screen, gets chopped down on TV.  I am aware of differences in video quality between the computer screen and standard DVD, but am far from an expert.  I just want the video to appear the correct dimension and show all of the image.

Further workflow:  My practice is to Share a Master QuickTime file in Apple ProRes 422.  Then pull it into Compressor 4.0.7 using the pre-set Create DVD template which gives the MPEG-2 for DVD and Dolby Digital Professional settings.  Then use Hard Drive as the output device from Compressor, resulting in a disk image.  Then use Disk Utility to burn the DVD at the slowest speed.

Any thoughts?................ Please!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • Luis Sequeira1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,060 points)

The screenshot for some reason is not visible here.

The only thing I can think of without seeing it is if you are creating the DVD as 16:9 or 4:3. If it is 4:3 but is played back as if it were 16:9 then it might get cropped.

• paulfromhendricks Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The original project was created as a 4:3 (1440x1080) Final Cut project from 16:9 source video, and my first burn of a DVD was at 1440x1080, but has always appeared a full dimensions on my laptop.  Since then I have reprocessed it a couple times in FCPX at 16:9 with the different project properties settings noted in my message.  The cropping is no better or worse whichever way I burn the project.  I'm sorry the .jpg screenshot image does not appear, but it shows that the cropping is not tremendously severe, just quite irritating.

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (112,705 points)

It sounds like you're seeing the overscan effect of television displays. Televisions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and can cut off up to 10% of the image, see the action safe area in the viewer. On a computer screen of course you see the full raster without any cut off.

Very interesting.  Do I have to live with that overscan now that the project is complete?  Not quite sure how to access that "action safe area in the viewer."  I can live with a small chopping off by using a lower-third title that does not extend as closely to the left edge of the screen.
    May I also ask your opinions of my whole workflow approach?

BTW, I can already tell you folks are great. 

• Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (112,705 points)

Not much you can do with television. You just have to allow for the overscan when you shoot and when you create content.

ScreenSnapz003.png

Tom, I found this graphic in Wikipedia.  The 16:9 overscan image at the right sure looks like the issue I've been obsessing about.

Screen shot 2013-04-12 at 1.50.09 PM.jpg

• Ian R. Brown Level 6 Level 6 (18,540 points)

Those images are worse case scenarios which rarely occur.

Overscanning only removes a normally insignificant amount of video around the edges and usually you will not notice anything is missing.

From your original description it sounded to me as though the aspect ratio had changed.

Although yourHDV dimensions are 4:3 strictly speaking, they are displayed as 16:9 because the pixels are elongated laterally.

Hi Ian.

The original source video brought into the Final Cut Event was 1920x1080 16:9.  However, I may have stupidly pulled that video into a project template that was 1440x1080 4:3 which, once run through Compressor, was the first DVD I burned.  Later, I changed the Project Properties twice as experiments, first to 1920x1080 16:9 and then second to 1280x720 16:9.  What I found odd is that in all three of those variations, the video seemed to be chopped down identically on the TV screen.

There sure is a lot to learn. 

I'm sure that when you start a new project  in the correct "template" and burn it to DVD, you will have no problems.

The simplest thing to do when starting a new project is to select "base on first video clip" as shown below.

Then when you drop your first clip into the timeline the project is created  with the ideal settings.

bbb.png

THANKS, Ian.  The template clip I referred to starts and ends with a couple "intro" graphic slides and transitions.  I will keep an eagle eye on being sure I start off on the right foot.

And speaking of graphics.... Who knows the best procedures, specs, and file formats for integrating still images and photographs with Final Cut?
    And will I ever shut up with questions?  

Theoretically you should tailor the size of your photos to the project size .  .  .  .  .  .  .  but you know what you can do with theory. 

I use photos straight from my camera (4000x3000 jpgs etc.) and have never had a problem.

The results have invariably been excellent and in no way could have been improved by any amount of juggling with frame sizes etc.

So as long as the originals are good quality it doesn't matter whether they are JPEG, TIFF or PNG, you will be OK.

Obviously a 4:3 photo will not fit exactly into a 16:9 sequence but you can set  FCP X up to either use the entire photo with pillar box bands down the sides or get it to enlarge the photo to fill the frame  .  .  .  .  .  this of course crops a little from the top and bottom but it's surprising how little effect this has on most pictures.

You can of course enlarge/crop manually if you are very fussy.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

Just realised it may not be obvious how to set FCP X to deal with the image so here's a quick example.

Select "Fit" or "Fill" in the "Spatial Conform" section to get the desired effect.

Click the images to enlarge for clarity.

a.png

b.png