Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro with Color Ball interrupting the flow of computer

Running OS 10.8.3 (12D78) I have problem of color ball or rainbow ball, I have to use Mac Keeper, Cleanse & Detox but only good for short time! If I run OS X V 10.5.8 I have no problems!!!!

I see on the web 100's of users having the same problem on brand new machines!!!!!

Does anyone have a solutions?????

Thank You

Richard R Henderson

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), This started with Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 9:43 AM

3 replies

Apr 12, 2013 10:06 AM in response to rhender_rrh

rhender_rrh wrote:

Running OS 10.8.3 (12D78) I have problem of color ball or rainbow ball, I have to use Mac Keeper, Cleanse & Detox but only good for short time!

Without exception MacKeeper, "cleanse", "detox", and all such "cleaning" apps are detrimental to your Mac's performance and can easily result in it beoming ususable and unmaintainable. They are poison. Get rid of them.

Installing MacKeeper on a brand new Mac caused it to become unacceptably slow, and I did not even use it to remove half a gigabyte of "junk" that was installed at the factory. In addition, if you used any non-Apple utilities to "remove excess binaries" you have effectively performed amateur brain surgery on it that cannot be rectified by anything other than a complete OS X reinstallation.

You may be better off completely erasing your Mac and starting over, including reinstalling every program you require and restoring your documents, photos, music, and other content from whatever backups you have.

Do not install anything like MacKeeper or other such "cleaners", ever again.

Apr 12, 2013 10:46 AM in response to rhender_rrh

There are safe reliable tested and long time programs for doing specific things, they started as a way to clean the system cache - helpful before applying system updates, or to trim log files, temp files from printers, and of course to cover all the browsers and cookies from one place.

Some of those like Panther Cache Cleaner have been around for a decade and if you use properly. CCleaner from Windows is perfectly fine if you don't want to bother with the delete history and web cache etc from inside Safari.

AppleJack from pre-Intel was run at startup in single user mode and could do 5 steps to help.

Apple made Safe Boot help and HFSX has evolved and improved - not that it doesn't need more but use what is there first and foremost HAVE BACKUPS and CLONE of your system.

Use ML Recovery.

MacKeeper - why is there a thread–å–day for this POS trash? why are Mac users prone to what is marketing and social engineered? It is "crap-ware." (I never saw a popup of it once on Windows btw). But t here are all the "Tune my PC" crapolla also.

Had you titled it "MacKeeper" you would see in the right side box "More like this" threads and solved on how to deal with and remove it. It needs a sticky like there have been with some other problems.

Mac Pro with Color Ball interrupting the flow of computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.