Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to use ipad to gather customer information using existing excel ss. Dropbox dòesnt work because ipad docs are read only. Cloudon not an option because you need Internet access. If I purchase the numbers app, can I then edit my excel ss, wIth out

Want to use ipad to gather customer information. Currently have an existing excel ss. Downloaded the SS to Dropbox, but, the ipad only recognizes Dropbox docs as read only. Tried cloudon, but, also not an option because it only works if you have Internet access. If I purchase the apple numbers app, will this work to gather information? I need to be able to save the document as an excel SS to email and upload it into company CRM database. Can this be done or is the ipad just an expensive glorified toy. Don't want to buy any more apps if this is the case. google docs doesn't work either.

I am hopeful that this simple task can be done.

iPad

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 12:30 PM

11 replies

Apr 12, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Cherylandersen

Yes - just download the document before you leave the office. Numbers, Documents to Go, Documents Free, as well as a number of other MS Office file edit apps, will do that. I'm not trying to be critical, but that's more or less commmon sense. If you aren't going to have internet access in the field, make sure you have what you need before you go. and in this case, skip CloudOn (not the best app available ffor MS Office files anyway).

Apr 12, 2013 1:12 PM in response to Cherylandersen

I've never used numbers, so I can't comment on it. I have docs to go and have used it for years quite happily.

One thing to remember about all word processing apps, all of them are skinned down versions of full programs. So if you have complicated equations, etc, they may not work well or at all. If you're just entering info, you'll be fine.

I would recommend DOcs to Go only because it's made to be compatible with word programs.

Dataviz is the maker. You can look on their site for more detailed info.

Apr 12, 2013 1:19 PM in response to Cherylandersen

I'm using Numbers, but not extensively. No complaints as long as the spreadsheet is fairly simple. Numbers doesn't handle data connections, pivot tables or conditional formatting. It does handle formulas fairly well.

Sky is probably correct in that Docs to Go may handle MS Office files a bit more "elegantly", but it too will have limitations compared to Excel on a PC or Mac. I do note (and not to dispute sky) it doesn't have the best of reveiws.

Want to use ipad to gather customer information using existing excel ss. Dropbox dòesnt work because ipad docs are read only. Cloudon not an option because you need Internet access. If I purchase the numbers app, can I then edit my excel ss, wIth out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.