Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make an umlaut above an ‘i' (as in naive)?

I have tried the alt + u thingy and nothing happens. Also I have tried the special characters viewer but the umlaut appears to the side of the letter 'i' instead of above it.

Can anyone help?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 1:07 PM

13 replies

Apr 13, 2013 12:56 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Crikey, that keyboard looks well scary, Peter!

I found the answer was really simple but I bet a lot of us umlaut-hunters don't know it.

I just did what Tom Gewecke suggested and was amazed. I held the i key down a little longer than I normally would and a whole raft of alternate i's with accents of all sorts popped up to choose from! No more holding down two keys together for me ... I was amazed.

But many thanks for trying to help me sort this ... people like you are invaluable to people like me.

Apr 13, 2013 1:01 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom - that's brilliant!!! I have never seen that tip of holding the vowel key down a little longer anywhere .

It is so simple, such an elegant solution ... why don't Apple tell us?

Everybody I have asked so far always says option u ... this thread is going to be soooo useful to a lot of folk.

Many thanks for tâking the tïme to tålk to mé, yõū are vèry kind.

How can I make an umlaut above an ‘i' (as in naive)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.