7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2013 1:25 PM by Zimmer1956
Zimmer1956 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a question that I should know- what is the difference between these? I assume backup is the Time Machine and the clone is an archive??

Thanks.

OS X Mountain Lion, 2TB OWC External Drive for my IMac
  • 1. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up
    rkaufmann87 Level 8 Level 8 (42,145 points)

There are no differences. However in order to have a sound backup plan you should have built in redundancy if you are backing up to an external HD. The reason being is HD fail and if your backup fails and you only have one backup plan then  you may be out of luck! Many people on this forum create redundant backups, one using Time Machine and the next creating a bootable clone. Both are backup strategies however different. The advantage of TM is it will backup versions of a file,in the event you delete a version and need it back you can easily recover it using TM. However the downside of TM is if your internal HD crashes you're out of business until the HD is replaced and if your only have the one backup and the backup fails too (don't laugh it happens all the time) you are really  out of luck.

If you have a separate bootable clone (using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner) this will help in that if the internal HD crashes you can boot from the clone and continue running until the computer is repaired.

My suggestion, invest in good quality HD's (2 at least) and create a TM backup on one and a bootable clone on the other.

• 2. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

Thanks, that answers my question and is the plan I will follow!

Don

• 3. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

Your very welcome.

• 4. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

one last thing about external hard drive for backup - I am replacing mine and looking at the G-Drive mini, OWC Mercury Elite Pro mini both companies say the 7200rpm, latest Oxford chipset drive is as stable as the larger drives. Understanding the issues with bus powered FW800 drives, will use the ac adapter always. This will stay on the desktop and will not be moved anywhere. In your opinion, do you think  I should consider ( or would you) the mini drives or stay with a 3.5" drive?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

I'd recommend both the G-Drive and Mercury Elite Pro series and would stay with a powered drive, stay away from bus powered.

• 6. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

even with an ac adapter - if so, I will.

• 7. Re: Difference between archiving and backing up

I was planning to use with the ac adapter, assume there could still be issues? If so, I will get the larger drives.

Thanks.