Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac, iDVD, and external Blu-ray burner compatibility

I have a question about disc burner capatibility that I have not found answers to in days of Internet searches. I hopethat someone in the Apple support community can help.

I have a new iMac (27", Dec 2012) that came without a SuperDrive. Fortunately, I do still have my old iLife disc so I have installed the iDVD application for DVD burning and I will likely try Toast and Burn for Blu-ray burning. So I'm set from a software application point of view.

I now have to decide what external optical disc-burner to purchase and I'm worried about compatibility with the iMac and these different applications. Here's my wish list for the drive:

• I would greatly prefer to buy a burner that can create both Blu-ray and DVD discs (such as the Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD Blu-ray Writer Drive)
  • I would like to be able to use iDVD to create and burn DVD discs on this drive (but I'm concerned that iDVD will not "cooperate" with a drive other than an Apple SuperDrive)
  • I would like to use Toast or Burn to burn Blu-ray discs on that external disc drive

Can you provide any guidance? Thank you.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 7:59 PM

2 replies

Mac, iDVD, and external Blu-ray burner compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.