Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When synching to effect a folder deletion, must iTunes re-synch the entire ipad contents?

Hi all - I'm fairly new to the mysterious world of iPad, so this issue may be just a frustrating fact of ipad life!

So here's the reason for my post:

I wish to delete a folder of photos from my ipad. I remove that folder from the folder I use to synch via itunes onto the ipad. So far so good. Then I hit synch and iTunes then proceeds to re-synch every photo folder that's still in there, plus all videos, files, apps etc that I still want to remain on the ipad. This takes a very considerable length of time. Much, much more time than the simple removal of one photo folder should surely take!

One would think it possible for iTunes to recognise that, and simply remove the unwanted folder, without what is tantamount to a re-install of all the other files. A hard-drive back-up does it sensibly - it merely deals with the changed files and ignores the rest.

Or is there some simpler method that I am missing?

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 12:41 AM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2013 3:53 PM in response to catspaw

Does no-one think this is worthy of a reply? I would very much like to know whether the synching process I am witnessing is indeed the normal routine for removing a folder of photos from an iPad - i.e. that iTunes in order to remove the folder, must do a complete re-synch of all the iPad's contents.

Thank you to anyone willing to respond!

Apr 13, 2013 4:59 PM in response to JimHdk

Thank you Jim. I assume that this protracted process of removal would occur no matter whether the removed file was a folder of photos or any other type of file. It does appear to be an inordinately clumsy way of carrying out a 'simple' deletion!

Fortunately there are other much swifter ways of importing/deleting files which leave iTunes completely out of the process. The one I now use employs FileApp Pro on the iPad, and Disk Aid on the computer - not the perfect solution in that it cannot place media in iPad's own Photos and Video apps, but quite functional nevertheless.

When synching to effect a folder deletion, must iTunes re-synch the entire ipad contents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.