Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV can't set date/time and therefore can't move past the set up phase

Apple TV gets hung up when setting the date and time. Wifi appears to be working so that's not the issue. The problem started following the latest software update. I tried resetting the device and that didnt work. Anyone else dealing wi this?

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 1:39 PM

I am getting the exact same problem. First time I have powered down my router and Apple TV devices since last update and all 5 devices are hanging on the Set Date/Time screen. Can't access any of my Home Sahring iTunes network on Ethernet or get an Internet connection. If I press Menu to drop out of Set Date/Time phase I only have 2 icons instead of the usual YouTube, Netflix etc....what has happened????

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2013 1:39 PM in response to Dap1913

I am getting the exact same problem. First time I have powered down my router and Apple TV devices since last update and all 5 devices are hanging on the Set Date/Time screen. Can't access any of my Home Sahring iTunes network on Ethernet or get an Internet connection. If I press Menu to drop out of Set Date/Time phase I only have 2 icons instead of the usual YouTube, Netflix etc....what has happened????

Apr 13, 2013 6:34 PM in response to Dap1913

There is an Apple support doc which talks about TCP protocols required for AppleTV ( http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2463?viewlocale=en_US ) which says:

"TCP port 123 is used to communicate with a network time server"

I'm just guessing that this might be the root cause, but if it persists it may be worth a call to your service provider to make sure they've not blocked that port. My experience with AT&T (my internet provider) was that they're familiar with requests like this and can open ports while you're on the phone with them.

Jul 2, 2013 5:35 PM in response to Dap1913

I had a similar issue with my ATV2. I searched through many different threads on this and other forums and I found a solution that worked for me. Someone suggested to temporarily disable your firewall on your router. Then go back to your ATV and enter your Apple ID and login info. I was able to successfully log into iTunes and set up home sharing with this method. Just remember to re-enable your firewall afterwards.

Good luck!

Apple TV can't set date/time and therefore can't move past the set up phase

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.