Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro X locked up on an important project!

I've spend about 60 hours ediitng a project for an important client, and when adjusting the glow on a title, the accursed beach ball started spinning and wouldn't quit! THis was yesterday. I had just deleted my backup copy, and was planning another, but TOO LATE!

Someone please advise. I've rebooted, duplicated onto another drive.

I can open FCPX, and the project will play, if I don't open it.

Thanks.

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 7:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 9:00 AM

Never delete backup copies, as we now know.

http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2013/4/3 _Carbon_Copy_Cloner_For_FCP_X.html

Some things to try. First, go to the Project Library, highlight (don't open) the Project, and in the File menu, delete it's render files. Next, go to each Event you are pulling media from in the Event Library and delete any render files in them, also.

If that doesn't do it, get "Preference Manager" from Digital Rebellion (free) and use it to trash FCP X's pref files.

If that doesn't do it, move the "Final Cut Pro" app from the Applications folder into the Trash. Then launch the App Store, go to the Purchases section, click the "Install" button for FCP X.

I have a feeling deleting render files may do the trick, but you never know.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2013 9:00 AM in response to TNGWB

Never delete backup copies, as we now know.

http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2013/4/3 _Carbon_Copy_Cloner_For_FCP_X.html

Some things to try. First, go to the Project Library, highlight (don't open) the Project, and in the File menu, delete it's render files. Next, go to each Event you are pulling media from in the Event Library and delete any render files in them, also.

If that doesn't do it, get "Preference Manager" from Digital Rebellion (free) and use it to trash FCP X's pref files.

If that doesn't do it, move the "Final Cut Pro" app from the Applications folder into the Trash. Then launch the App Store, go to the Purchases section, click the "Install" button for FCP X.

I have a feeling deleting render files may do the trick, but you never know.

Apr 14, 2013 1:40 PM in response to TNGWB

My problem appears to be solved. I had to re-install FCPX.

Now, when I uninstalled it, and I'm using OS X 10.7.5, I tried to uninstall by just dragging the application to the trash, but that didn't do it. After reinstalling it still locked up.

I had to follow the directions and individually delete some elements in the library. Which ones are determined by your OS. Here is the Apple link which completely explains it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5149

Then I reinstalled it. BUT, the version has been updated. So, when I opened my project, it had to be updated as well to work with the neweer FCPX. This took a few minutes.

Now it seems to work well, thoiugh other projects made with the older version will need to be updated before I can work on them again.

OK, thanks, all.

Final Cut Pro X locked up on an important project!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.