Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore library from external (no vaults)

All of my Apeture images are on an external hard drive. I have a new internal hard drive and it's like Apeture is brand new. No files. I used time machine to back up but it seems to not work properly for all of my other restores so I am not using it. I never made a "vault" but all my masters are on the external. I am not very savvy with the restore issues and worry that all my editing work is gone. Can someone help me (in baby computer language) make my Apeture project work like they used to? Thank you so much.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 9:43 AM

4 replies

Apr 13, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thank you for responding.

1 external 2TB

No transfer. Apple put in a new hard drive and sent me home. I have "everything" on my external HD. I did a back up before it went in but I am finding that much of it did not work. Apeture, however is very important to me so I made sure that my photos were on that HD.

Spotlight showed nothing when I typed in aplibrary.

Apr 13, 2013 11:14 AM in response to SqueakerBean

SqueakerBean, tell us more, please.

No transfer. Apple put in a new hard drive and sent me home. I have a new internal hard drive and it's like Apeture is brand new. No files.

But Apple installed an Operating system, right? And created an user account for you?

I have "everything" on my external HD.

What is "everything"? A copy of your Home folder?

Apeture, however is very important to me so I made sure that my photos were on that HD.

What does "my photos" mean? Did you copy your Aperture Library there? Or does it contain referenced original files?

Who copied the data to your external HD? Did you create that that backup yourself, or the Apple Store? Before you transferred your data there, did you format the drive, to ensure that it has an MacOS X Extended file system and is correctly formatted to be used with photo libraries?

Regards

Léonie

Apr 13, 2013 2:13 PM in response to léonie

Appologies for my vague and unhelpful information.

Apple store put in new hard drive and I have a functioning computer, operating system and applications. No data. It was my responsibility to then go home and use time machine to get everything the way is was. As it turned out, time machine was not doing what I thought it was doing. I do have a user profile and a home folder. I moved everything over from my back up disk. Most things worked out. When I opened Aperture, however it was as if it was brand new. None of my projects were there.

When I have used Apeture all along, I always imported master from camera to my external. All photos I saw in Apeture were referencing from my Ex HD. I don't think I ever copied my library seperately to the hard drive.

Before you transferred your data there, did you format the drive, to ensure that it has an MacOS X Extended file system and is correctly formatted to be used with photo libraries?

No. I assumed time machine was taking care of backing up correctly. And it may have, but I don't seem to know how to move it back into the application.

One final thing, on my exteral I opened a project that I had finished. I grabbed all of thoes photos and moved them imported them into Aperture to see what happened. I now have that project, but it is all the masters, no edits.

Thanks again. Let me know if video chat might be easier.

Restore library from external (no vaults)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.