Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPhones, same Apple ID

My husband and I just purchased two iPhone 5. We are using the same Apple ID, but contacts and apps are popping up on one device when it was originally downloaded on the other. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 11:28 AM

8 replies

Oct 5, 2013 11:36 PM in response to JimHdk

I have a question concerning your advice. If I do that, will it delete all the previous messages that were shared to the other phone? And also the pictures in photo stream?

Also, if the person change apple ID after noticing the messages were being shared; is it possible they still are?

Apr 13, 2013 11:37 AM in response to Jcuamba

You have to either stop syncing your contacts with iCloud or migrate one of the two phones to a separate iCloud account with a different ID. (You can continue to share the same ID for iTunes; it doesn't need to be the same as the ID you use for iCloud.)

To migrate to a new account, first decide which phone will be moving. On this phone, if you have any photos in photo stream that you want to keep on the phone, save these to your camera roll by opening the photo stream album in the thumbnail view, tapping Edit, then tap all the photos you want to save, tap Share and tap Save to Camera Roll.

Once this is done, go to Settings>iCloud, scroll to the bottom and tap Delete Account. (This will only delete the account from this phone, not from iCloud. The phone that will be keeping the account will not be effected by this.) When prompted about what to do with the iCloud data, be sure to select Keep On My iPhone. Next, set up a new iCloud account using a different Apple ID (if you don't have one, tap Get a Free Apple ID at the bottom). Then turn iCloud data syncing for contacts, etc. back to On, and when prompted about merging with iCloud, choose Merge. This will upload the data to the new account.

Finally, you will then have to go to icloud.com on your computer and sign into each iCloud account separately and manually delete the data you don't want from each account (such as deleting your husband's contacts from your account, and vice versa).

Two iPhones, same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.