Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

earphone buttons stopped working on multiple devices

Hi,

So I recently purchased an iPhone 5 and the store gave me a pair of additional earphones with the deal. All new products. Earphones that came with the phone works fine across multiple devices and so did the extra pair, until earlier today.

When I plugged in the extra pair into my macbook, the volume/pause button suddenly stopped responding. Sound works perfectly fine but the buttons don't. After this happened I tried plugging the earphones back into the iphone and the issue remains. Even tried them with my old 3GS, same problem there. Original earphones still work flawlessly.

Why can this be? The earphones are new and the buttons worked fine until I plugged them into the macbook. Is there anyway I can "reset" these earphones?

Macbook pro 13" mid-209, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2013 10:08 AM

HI,

had the same problem. Apparently the last segment of the jack controls the remote so it needs to be properly inserted. I realized that I had somehow bent the jack so I just yanked it straight and it works fine. Apparently another possibility is you have lint round the base you need to scrape off. I don't think this is a technical os problem

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2013 10:08 AM in response to mlldmtn

HI,

had the same problem. Apparently the last segment of the jack controls the remote so it needs to be properly inserted. I realized that I had somehow bent the jack so I just yanked it straight and it works fine. Apparently another possibility is you have lint round the base you need to scrape off. I don't think this is a technical os problem

earphone buttons stopped working on multiple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.