Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Mountain Lion: Finder - Open With

Hi,

For a perticular file format, NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) when I do Open With I am presented with redundant applications as seen below.

How can I clean them off?

Note that the repeated applications could indeed be pointing to older increnetal editions of the software.

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 4:54 PM

The "open with" option shows the apps that might be able to open the selected file. The only way to truncate that list is to delete the apps.

For example, you apparently have four versions of Capture NX 2. Delete 3 of them and only one will show up. Same for all the other duplicates.

11 replies

Apr 14, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

No problem. I did manage to find the right Preferences and the file was there. I deleted it and restarted the computer. It generated a new one with today's date. And, the open with list is still the same way. Could there be multiple instances of those applications hidden somewhere in my computer? Each time I install a new version of them the old version gets overwritten.

Thanks

OSX Mountain Lion: Finder - Open With

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.