Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up computer properly in order to restore to factory settings

Hi! I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro that I think was originally running on Leopard. I had my friend upgrade it to Lion about a year ago (it says it's running on 10.7.5), and it's been running horribly. I want to restore it back to Leopard, so I backed up my computer to a WD Elements portable hard drive. However, I read on one of the forums that a back up won't transfer over to Leopard properly because everything is in Lion format. It also mentioend something about a carbon copy, but I wasn't sure if that was an actual step or just a description.

What steps do I need to take to properly back up my computer properly so that when I restore it to Leopard, everything can be easily added back to the computer? And how do I restore the computer? Would it be better to ask someone at the Apple store to do it or can I do it on my own? I don't think I have any discs that came with the computer (if any did).

Thanks so much for anyone's help! I was getting really confused by all the different discussions regarding this issue.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), MBP late 2008

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 5:48 PM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2013 12:37 AM in response to noushiegoddess

I think you need to establish what Operating System the machine was originally supplied with, whether, for example, it was shipped with Leopard or Snow Leopard.

In either case there would have been disks supplied ... but you can buy Snow Leopard from Apple today if you tell them the serial number; Leopard can only be bought privately or on eBay or Amazon nowadays.

Not having Lion, I don't know all the implications but I suspect data on Lion will not transfer in its entirety. There are examples of people with similar problems in 'More like this' opposite your post >>>>>>>

This link (Kappy post) may help .. Anyone know how to uninstall Lion and...: Apple Support Communities

How to back up computer properly in order to restore to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.