Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello and ...Help!!!

A few weeks ago, Apple service contacted me to advice me that I must to change the HD of my iMac at an Apple Service authorized place.

They asked me to make an HD Backup on an externla HD before the Hard Disk exchange.

I have received my iMac with a “brand new“ HD, but it is impossible to make a migration from an external HD.

Could, someone PLEASE help me? I just bought an 17-Mac Book Pro, so I would like to migrate all my old iMac (baked up on an external HD) onto my new Mac book.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Jose Roberto Alvarez (Sajarab)

<Email Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 7:24 PM

2 replies

Apr 13, 2013 7:31 PM in response to Sajarab

Sajarab wrote:

A few weeks ago, Apple service contacted me to advice me that I must to change the HD of my iMac at an Apple Service authorized place.

They asked me to make an HD Backup on an externla HD before the Hard Disk exchange.

I have received my iMac with a “brand new“ HD, but it is impossible to make a migration from an external HD.

Could, someone PLEASE help me? I just bought an 17-Mac Book Pro, so I would like to migrate all my old iMac (baked up on an external HD) onto my new Mac book.

PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Jose Roberto Alvarez (Sajarab)

Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant

Pete

Apr 13, 2013 9:12 PM in response to petermac87

Thank Yoy Pete,

I've tried Migration Assistant for several times. I connect my PBook with Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor to the from iMac, but it doesn't give the option of transferring from a Back Up folder on it

I explain it more clearly:

I first made, on an external disk, a HD Back Up, prior to send my iMac to service in order to change the original Hard Drive.

Then, When I bought my Power Book, they told me at the Apple Service that it was impossible to make a migration if the backup wasn't copied completely to another computer.

I transferred the Backup file (556 Gb) again to the iMac after they changed the defective Hard Drive.

Now, when I try to connect my Pbook to the iMac, there is no more option than make a migration from an iMac which, practically is empthy. All my Aplications and files are on the BackUp copy as a file.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
José Roberto (Sajarab)

Hello and ...Help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.