Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log on to iMac.

I can't login into my account on my iMac. I am writing this from my iPad.

I first noticed some strange behavior on my iMac. Whenever I opened a folder, I could only access the top, or first appearing item in that folder. Whenever a field requiring an entry, such as User Name, appeared, the field would be automatically filled with a continuous string of the character "[". I could not delete the character string or enter anything into the field. I also noticed a unknown .doc document as the first listed item in my document folder. I deleted that document, thinking it might be the cause of the strange behavior. The behavior continued. I tried to restore to a previous time point using Time Machine, but I could only choose the top listed item in any chosen folder. I did a virus scan using ClamXAV. It found nothing. I tried booting in Safe Boot. The same thing happened.

The machine acts as if it has been infected with some piece of malware. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could log in to my account and clear up whatever is wrong with my iMac?

Frank Bendrick

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iPod4G, iPad4, iPad2, MacPro

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 2:09 AM

Frank, try starting you computer in recovery mode (command + R) then run disk utility on your hard drive to repair it, also repair your disk permissions. Take a look at this link, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

3 replies

Can't log on to iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.