Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox Start up ?

Firefox keeps trying to open where I left off instead of starting with my home page, I am using the lastest Firefox.

It gives me the - Now this is embarrassing message.

My prefs are set to open at a selected homepage.

I have three Macs all doing the same thing.

Anybody have any Ideas other than use Safari ?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Alu 13inch MacBook, iMac Alu 20inch

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 4:00 AM

10 replies

Apr 14, 2013 9:15 AM in response to Washac

I see no such issue here on Firefox 20 on 10.6.8, must be something you have set in preferences or a add-on conflict, perhaps something specific to your network.

Unistall all add-ons, update your browser plugins, check your machine, uninstall Firefox and it's preferences files, then reinstall Firefox and see if it continues.

Create a new account and see if it continues there as well.

If you can confirm it's a bug, then make a bug report at Mozilla.

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Apr 14, 2013 1:50 PM in response to Washac

As of yesterday, I checked Firefox for an update by clicking "About Firefox/check for update" which then automatically installed Firefox v. 20. Awesome. There was no indication beforehand that after the installation my system (Mac OS X 10.6.8) would NOT be supported as far as the Java Applet Plug-in was concerned.

In other words, after using FF v. 20's proprietary Tools/add-ons check which links to https://www.mozilla.org, what happened was I found the latest Java Applet Plugin would not be supported for Snow Leopard and the browser "Status" was now "Vulnerable" and as we all know status vulnerable means problems.

Apparently Oracle will only support Lion and Mountain Lion from here on out - even though SL still has a massive user base.

So what's a guy to do? Upgrade my system to accommodate, billionaire Larry Ellison?

Perhaps I'll go with Opera instead.

Apr 17, 2013 7:11 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

The latest iteration of Opera which I recently downloaded from the App Store does not play well w/ Snow Leopard.

Survey says: too buggy. Subsequent uninstallation was a breeze, however, using Find Any File app since I don't use Spotlight at all - which is my strategy of extending the life of my hard-drive by deselecting every option in that hard-drive-thrashing-by-means-of-indexing beast.

Chrome is on deck as my secondary browser.

Apr 17, 2013 11:51 PM in response to Washac

Washac wrote:

Firefox keeps trying to open where I left off instead of starting with my home page, I am using the lastest Firefox.

It gives me the - Now this is embarrassing message.

This is a minor bug: Firefox are aware.

To stop it - type about:config in the address bar and hit return.

Scroll down to 'browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash

Double-click 'true' to change it to 'false'.

Apr 18, 2013 1:39 AM in response to Michael Murphy3

Michael Murphy3 wrote:

...what happened was I found the latest Java Applet Plugin would not be supported for Snow Leopard and the browser "Status" was now "Vulnerable" and as we all know status vulnerable means problems.

Apparently Oracle will only support Lion and Mountain Lion from here on out - even though SL still has a massive user base.

Run Software Update and you will get updated Java and Safari, including now the ability to enable Java on a specific site basis.

Apr 18, 2013 1:23 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Michael Murphy3 wrote:

The latest iteration of Opera which I recently downloaded from the App Store

I think Opera has been discontinued on AppStore because Apple is too slow to review apps (4-8 weeks) thus security issues in browsers can't be fixed fast enough.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Apple forces all AppStore developers to issue updates only through AppStore.

If you want Opera, then download it directly from their site and nothing from the AppStore that your connecting to the Internet.

Security Issues Warning List

The way things are going with OS X 10.8 and Gatekeepr/iOSfication of OS X, it's looking like Mac's will be turned into iPads with their closed enviroment approach.

Thus the natural transition for OS X 10.6 users is to Windows 7 as that will remain open and get security updates until 2020.

Apr 18, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Yes, Roger, apparently I must have slipped through the crack in time between the FF 20 update release and Apple's update of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 15. So after hearing the fat lady sing, I uninstalled Opera (from the App Store); thanks ds store for the scoop on the wormhole/stalemate/800 lb. gorilla scenario. I then ran Software Update after which I downloaded & installed FF 20 (from Mozilla) checked it's plug-in status and only then did I see a "thumbs up" on the Java plug-in check instead of "status vulnerable".

Thanks Guys

Firefox Start up ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.