Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I create a recovery partition to use Find my Mac?

I want to activate Find my Mac on my MBP. The iCloud system preference says I don't have a recovery partition that's required for it. It apparently didn't install when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

How can I retroactively create a recovery partition? There are no other partitions on the drive (other than the Macintosh HD, of course).

Thanks.

Rob

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 8GB RAM, 750GB HD

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 6:57 AM

17 replies

Apr 14, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan-

This doesn't help, if I'm reading it correctly. I do not have a recovery partition on my internal hard drive and that's what I want to create. Recovery Disk Assistant seems to make recovery partitions on external drives and requires that the internal recovery already exist.

Or am I missing something between the lines about Recovery Disk Assistant?

Rob

Apr 14, 2013 12:05 PM in response to John Galt

John-

Here is what that gives:

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 749.3 GB disk0s2

My presumption is that the partition isn't there because the iCloud preference pane says "Find My Mac requires a recovery partition" in a "more" box that is there; and it won't allow me to select the service.

Rob

Jul 24, 2013 9:52 PM in response to rcpfaff

I have just tested it by re-installing Mac OSx, which worked like a charm. Here are the steps

if you have existing Mac partition with data, please create a backup or image of that partition (becaue that will be erased)

1. I used a Mt Lion dvd and booted the mac from it and started the disk utility

2. I created 2 partitions -> one with 1 GB space and named "Recovery HD" and second with all the remaining space and named " Macintosh HD", applied the changes, run disk repair on both partition (to be safe)

3. then back to disk utility and re-installed OSx from DVD to Macintosh HD partition.

4. after finish and reboot with Option key, you will get your recovery partition working

5. now if you wana restore your old HD image just go to disk util and restore image

Ref: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

🙂

sanjay

Jul 25, 2013 3:10 AM in response to Citybird

You need to boot your computer from Internet Recovery (ALT+CMD+R). Once it's loaded, go to disk utility and select your physical drive (not Macintosh HD partition) and then slect ERASE tab, select correct format and give a name (Macintosh HD) and click "Erase...". That will prepair your disk automatically - no need to manully create 2nd partition.

This proceedure will erase your all data from the HDD so backup is crucial - run Time Machine Backup so after installation, you can run Migration Assistant to restore your data.

Nov 7, 2013 9:45 AM in response to rcpfaff

FIRST, assuming you do not have another Mac of the same model with a working restore, I would suggest using your Lion, mountaint lion or Maverick install to create a bootable system on a flash drive. You will need a DMG image created with Disk Utility from that stick to recreate the restore partition on your mac.

Once you create the bootable USB stick, Use it to log in and follow the below process to back up the restore partition. Then, save the DMG back up anywhere and finish the walk through on your normal operating partition.

Close Disk Utility if it is open.
Open Terminal
Enter the command below
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled -bool true
Now open Disk Utility and pull down the Debug menu
Click Show Every Partition
Now, select the Recovery Partition and create a new image.
NOTE: The Recovery Partition will need to be made in Read Only format if you wish to restore the image normally with disk utility or by software such as Deploy Studio. If you take an image with Deploy Studio and want it to restore the Recovery Drive normally, you will need to adjust the Work Flow for Image Capture to use the Read Only format. It will slow things down. If you dont use the read only format, the .dmg will not scan properly. This is most likely because the recovery drive already hosts compressed files. That said, this guide WILL restore from even a compressed .dmg image. HERE IS THE WALK THROUGH FOR RESTORING A SCANNED READ ONLY FORMATTED .DMG.
Copy the Recover HD.DMG image to a flash drive
The following must be on an Administrator account
Next, Log on to the admin account of the computer you wish to restore the MLTI Recovery Partition.
Copy the Recovery HD.DMG from your Flash drive to the HD

Enter the following command in terminal

diskutil list

If there is no partition for the restore drive listed, then use Disk Utility to create a GUID Partition keeping in mind the size of the original restore partition. (19 gigs for the MLTI Version of the restore drive)
Open Terminal and enter the following command
sudo asr -noverify -source (PATH FOR DMG IMAGE HERE) -target (PATH FOR RECOVERY HD PARTITION HERE) -erase -noprompt
NOTES: You must replace the () and everything in between with the respective path. You can simple drag and drop the source (your .dmg) and your target (the drive to be restored) while you are typing in terminal.
Enter admin password
In terminal Type the following command
diskutil list
note which disk and slice is the restore partition. It should be /dev/disk0s3, but it could vary a bit.
Now, run the following in terminal
sudo asr adjust --target /dev/disk0s3 --settype "Apple_Boot"
REMEMBER: you may need to replace /dev/disk0s3 with your new restore partition's designation.
Enter Admin Password when prompted
Restart.
Don't forget to enter the following terminal command into the machine you took the Recovery HD image from.
defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled -bool false

Dec 3, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Duhkha

You completely blew my mind with the Debug menu in Disk Utility. I have been doing this using "dd" and "gpt" for the past year and it was a pain. Now I can use Disk Utility for the entire process. Thank you for saving me loads of time.

One thing to note, make sure you create the "Recovery HD" partition right after the "Macintosh HD". If you are using FileVault2 or "Back to my Mac", it will look for the "Recovery HD" in the next partition. Keep this in mind if you maintain separate paritions for your Users directories.

Dec 6, 2013 4:01 PM in response to John Galt

Hi John,

I am having the same issue. I just put a Time Machine backup from my former MacBook Pro onto this MacBook Pro yesterday. Find My iPhone telling me it won't work. Here is what I got when I did what you asked:

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS MacOS 749.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine 749.8 GB disk2s2

How can I create a recovery partition to use Find my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.